Chrome Extension Fails: "Looking for the 1Password helper - Try Again"

I fail to properly install the chrome extension. After setup it prompts "Looking for the 1Password helper" and then it states: "Try again
Either the helper is not running, or something is preventing it from communicating with the 1Password browser extension.".

What helper? I installed the chrome extension I dont want a helper, just the extension. I have no antivirus software besides Win10 Defener installed and no Firewall besides Windows internal one. Furthermore one of the two links provided does not work at all. So I guess this might be a strange error in the extension rather than a problem on the clients side?

Whatever, I planned to dive into using your service commercially but this problem on the first meters probably prevent me from using it at all.

The help document did not provide any useful help since it mainly focuses on usage problems.

Disappointed...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @phalancs,

Sorry to hear about your less than stellar first run experience.
    I'm a bit puzzled about the issue you're having.

The 1Password Helper is the background application that facilitates communication between your 1Password vault and the browser extensions in Firefox and Chrome.

When you first install 1Password 4 for Windows, the installer sets the 1Password Helper (Agile1pAgent.exe) to launch during start-up, so that the browser extensions always have a partner to communicate with.

Can you please close Chrome, open 1Password and select Help > Restart 1Password Helper in the menu, then open Chrome again and click the 1Password extension button? Does it work now?

If that works, can you please reboot and check if this still works after restarting your PC?
    If it stops working again, then something might be preventing the 1Password Helper from launching during start-up.

Cheers!

• phalancs
    phalancs
    Community Member
    edited November 2015

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately The extension wont allow me to do anything if it is not communicating with its helper. Therefore the only two options I have when clicking on the extension button lead me either to the website or the the page that says the helper is not talking.

Am I missing someething? Do I need to install somethng else like a standalone tool or similar?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@phalancs: 1Password and the Helper are installed together, so the extension is the only thing that needs to be setup separately. Unfortunately there are a lot of things that can interfere with the Helper's communications with the extension. And if something is interfering, 1Password will shut it down to keep your data secure. Oddly enough, 'security software' is the most common culprit here, as they like to intercept and monitor communications. So that's a good place to start:

Extension troubleshooting

Disable any software that might be interfering to see if that helps, and then setting an exception can help 1Password function unhindered. Let me know what you find! :)

This discussion has been closed.