Want to keep backup drive connected

Options
billbache
billbache
Community Member

Very strange.

I had 1Password5 in my main Mac Applications folder but I also had it in the Applications folder of an internal backup drive installed in the Mac and in the Applications folder of an external backup hard drive.

When I tried to start 1Password via the icon in the Dock today, I got the error: "The system launched an incorrect version of 1Password mini," saying that instead of the copy in my "main" Applications folder, the Mac tried to launch a copy on one of my backup drives. I deleted the copy on my internal backup drive and left it on the external backup drive, but still got the error.

So I went to your web site and found that it says:
"If you use a backup program such as Time Machine, SuperDuper! [which I use] or Carbon Copy Cloner, backed-up copies of the 1Password app may be conflicting with the main app installed on your Mac.
"To avoid this problem, make sure that your backup drive is disconnected when you launch 1Password."

So I removed all copies of 1Password5 from both backup drives, leaving only the copy in the Mac's main Applications folder. As you stated and I expected, that solved the problem: I could start 1Password5 routinely.

But I cannot disconnect the internal backup drive and do not want to disconnect either it or the external backup drive, onto both of which I backup up my Mac nightly.

So, to see what would happen, I restored the 1Password5 copies I had deleted from the backup drives. Much to my surprise, I was still able to start 1Password5 from the Dock icon, without any problem.

I'm happy, because I absolutely insist on nightly backups of all applications as well as docs, and this requires that my backup drives be connected at all times. In fact, I would expect Agilebits to support this a configuration and backup operation. But I'm concerned that the "launched an incorrect version" error will re-occur sometime, unexpectedly.

Tell me what I have to do to make nightly backups to my internal and external drives without encountering this error in the future.

1Password Version: 5.4.1, Build 541003
Extension Version: 4.4.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: SuperDuper!
Referrer: kb:remove-multiple-apps

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

AgileBits has nothing to do with this issue. It's OS X that searches farther afield than would be ideal, instead of confining its attention to the application that was launched. And there isn't anything a developer can do to stop that from happening. For myself, I've it excluded the 1Password application from my daily backups. This is not an issue, because I can always download a fresh copy of the application if I ever need to restore my hard drive. Backing up the applications themselves isn't really important, and doing that will still make sure your data are backed up, which a what really matters in this case.

Some users report success by excluding their external backup drives from Spotlight searches. Give that a try. I'm waiting for the next 1Password update to see if that works for me.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @billbache,

hawkmoth suggested the same thing I would: exclude the 1Password app itself from your backups, or exclude the backup copy of the 1Password app from Spotlight. I believe either should do the trick. Let us know how it goes for you. We're here if you have any other questions. :)

• billbache
    billbache
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks hawkmoth and Vee. Good suggestions and I'll try them.

• @billbache Just wanted to check in with you on this. How did everything go? Were you able to get 1Password running smoothly with your backup drives still connected?

• billbache
    billbache
    Community Member
    Options

Caught a cold yesterday and put off incorporating the suggested fixes. Will do so later this week--I hope.

• @billbache Sorry to hear that! Hope you feel better soon. :) Feel free to pop back in here and let us know how everything goes.

• billbache
    billbache
    Community Member
    Options

I haven't had any problem starting 1Password5 since I restored the copies I had deleted from the backup drives, so I guess I'll leave everything as it was--backing up all apps, including 1Password5. Thanks for the suggestions, folks--might be useful in the future.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Any time! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.