Slowdown caused by 1password chrome plugin

On my machine, 1password is the only enabled plugin on my google chrome. When starting a search from either the url bar or google.com, the browser will sometimes transit to a page appeared in the screenshot for a fraction of a second before going to the result page. It seems to me it is more likely to do that when the search is new and the tab is freshly opened.

Auto-save login, Auto-submit login, Animated login are all disabled on the plugin.

The problem never appears if I disable the 1password plugin.

My chrome is running on Windows 10 64-bit.

Thanks,
Gilbert.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.586
Extension Version: 4.4.3.90
OS Version: 6.2.9000
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gilbertc: I'm not able to reproduce this at all, (un)fortunately. It may be that I'm simply not seeing a long enough delay to be able to notice it due to network differences. otherwise, the only difference between my setup and yours is that I'm using the current version of 1Password. Could you update and see if it persists? It isn't clear to just why this is a problem for you, but I'm happy to explore it. Just let me know the exact steps you're taking so I can test this again. Thanks in advance! :)

• gilbertc
    gilbertc
    Community Member

@brenty: thanks for your time looking into this. I was surprised it wasn't a more widespread problem and started to look further into my specific situation. I think I am ready to come into conclusion that it is caused by combination of 1password plugin and google's country redirection (in this case, google.com.hk) when outside of US.

Thanks,
    Gilbert

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I think I am ready to come into conclusion that it is caused by combination of 1password plugin and google's country redirection (in this case, google.com.hk) when outside of US.

@gilbertc: Ah! That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for mentioning that. Indeed, since Chrome (and any browser now, really) will load a separate instance of each extension for each tab/window, this does have an impact on performance. And while it's usually minimal as you describe (I generally have hundred of tabs open and it isn't too bad even then), it can be jarring with a new tab/window in particular, as Chrome won't load 1Password, for instance, util it goes to an actual webpage (as opposed to the 'new tab' landing page built into the browser).

It sounds like it's a minor issue, but be sure to let us know if there's anything we can help with. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.