El Capitan broke 1 Password!

Options

After Upgrading to El Capitan, I can no longer see what is being typed in the Title section or the notes section of the 1password entry window. Also can't see what I'm typing into the Notes field. When I try to click on something in the notes field, it looks like 1password is "zooming in" on the writing to an infinite level so that I can't see what is being typed or what has already been typed! When I click out of the field, everything is legible again. 1Password also often asks me if I want to upgrade....so I open the program....then look for an update - and it says I'm already up to date!

These are some pretty serious bugs with 1Password. Does anybody have a solution? I have tried to upgrade now several times with no luck.....

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: 3.9.20
OS Version: 10.11.1
Sync Type: Dropbox (iCloud sucks)
Referrer: forum-search:unable to see what I'm typing in the notes field

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SubatomicPower,

El Capitan did knock a couple more nails into the coffin of 1Password 3 for Mac it seems. The issue you're seeing with the fields is a known one which we talk about, in part, in 1Password 3: Modern browsers and OS X. Others are finding 1Password 3 crashes a lot in El Capitan but not everybody is seeing this.

Sadly the reality is upgrading to 1Password 5 is really the only solution available. 1Password 3 won't offer you to upgrade to 1Password 5 from inside 1Password as in terms of code/projects they're distinctly different. So when 1Password 3 says it is up-to-date it isn't lying, you are running the latest version of 1Password 3.

The thread I linked you to above does cover the fact that 1Password 4/5 isn't a free upgrade and whether you will want to consider purchasing from Apple's Mac App Store or our AgileBits Store. Given the iCloud sucks comment I see above if you do decide to upgrade to 1Password 5 you'll want to go down the route of our AgileBits Store as you can use your 1Password licence key at Upgrades for Existing Licence Owners to get a nice discount over the full price.

So the key part is when you say

I have tried to upgrade now several times with no luck.....

Is that just trying to get 1Password 3 to update or you've tried to move to 1Password 5 and had troubles? We'll certainly do everything we can to help you migrate if this is the case.

• virkko
    virkko
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Your link "Upgrades for Existing Licence Owners" gives me a response, that my licence key is not upgradeable (which it isn't as I understand). Where could I get my discount price for buying 1PW5 as a 1PW3 owner? I do have the exact same problem - all my passwords are not readable after installing El Capitan.

• EmmyKlug
    EmmyKlug
    Community Member
    Options

I have this exact same problem!

I've tried to update, but it says "an error occurred while extracting the archive. Please try again" but even if I try again, it says the same thing.

Does this mean I need the IPW5?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @virkko,

I tried to check our records but I'm guessing you purchased 1Password using a different email address to the one you registered with on our forums. We'll happily look into this but to make sure we supply the correct advice can you email us at support+licenses@agilebits.com with a quick explanation, a link to this thread will help and if you can email us from the email address you used at the time of purchase that will allow us to track you down and tailor the advice appropriately for you :smile:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @EmmyKlug,

That error is different. I have heard of some people struggling to update to the latest version of 1Password 3 from inside the application whilst downloading a fresh copy of the application from the Legacy section of our AgileBits Download page works. Now if you're running El Capitan though, updating to the latest version of 1Password 3 for Mac won't really solve any problems that you're experiencing. If you're running Yosemite or older though 1Password 3 for Mac still pretty much works there. We could say a bit more with more confidence if you could let us know what version of OS X you're running :smile:

• EmmyKlug
    EmmyKlug
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @littlebobbytables

Thanks for the quick response! I'm running OS X El Capitan version 10.11.1
    Let me know if you need any other info from me!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @EmmyKlug,

So sadly as you're already on El Capitan updating to the last version of 1Password 3 for Mac won't make any real difference. Basically we stopped development on 1Password 3 back when Mountain Lion was the big cat and incompatibilities have crept in as OS X has changed with each newer version. You can read a bit more about this in 1Password 3: Modern browsers and OS X. The best option I'm afraid is to take the plunge and consider the update to 1Password 5. The two routes, along with links to a guide are covered in the thread I linked you to. If you have any questions please do ask before proceeding though and we'll do our best.

• EmmyKlug
    EmmyKlug
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables where do I find 1Password 5 and does it cost money?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @EmmyKlug,

It will cost money I'm afraid. We made 1Password 4 a paid upgrade over 1Password 3 as it was a complete rewrite. Now technically 1Password 5 was a free upgrade but only for all existing 1Password 4 users. There are two routes.

If you're really a big fan of iCloud and think that you would like to sync your vault using iCloud that means you have to purchase 1Password 5 from Apple's Mac App Store - only apps or applications obtained from one of Apple's stores can access the required iCloud frameworks.

If you're not bothered about iCloud the you can also purchase 1Password from our own AgileBits Store. As it's our store though we can do something we're unable to do in the Mac App Store and that's to offer a discounted upgrade price. If you enter your existing 1Password 3 licence key into the Upgrades for Existing Licence Owners page you will be offered 1Password 5 at a discounted price as a nod towards your continued support.

So it basically comes down to iCloud Sync or a better price. We never wanted there to be such a difference between the two stores but sometimes you have to accept whatever life throws our way and for us it was this.

If you purchase 1Password from Apple's Mac App Store the you would download it from within their App Store application on your Mac. If you purchase 1Password from our store you'll receive an email with a link to your licence file and instructions on what to do. In both cases simply launching 1Password 5 for Mac will find your 1Password 3 vault and import it, it should be a seamless operation.

Does that help, if you have any follow up questions do please keep asking and keep using the @littlebobbytables as it means I get notified when you do :smile:

• EmmyKlug
    EmmyKlug
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @littlebobbytables!

Thanks for the quick response! Yes this does help - when I search for 1Password 5 in the app store, nothing comes up?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @EmmyKlug,

Oddly enough searching for the text 1Password 5 offers me seven options, none of which are us. While searching for just 1Password will return us in the results it will also return a number of others. The easiest way to get just us is to search for AgileBits - that will return just 1Password for Mac and only that :smile:

• EmmyKlug
    EmmyKlug
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hey @littlebobbytables

Ok I apologize because I'm a little confused - are you guys 1Password?

It seems like the app store is not an option?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @EmmyKlug,

We are indeed 1Password. The company is called AgileBits and the password manager is called 1Password and if I search on the name of the company in the Mac App Store this is what I see

As you can see I'm based in the UK by the flag in the bottom right hand corner. I'm not aware of anywhere were we're not so I would hope you see the same result. I take it this isn't what you see?

Does this link make any difference? https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/1password-password-manager/id443987910?mt=12

• EmmyKlug
    EmmyKlug
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables

I figured it out!!!! You're the best, thanks for all your help!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm happy to read that it's had a happy ending @EmmyKlug :smile: Now 1Password 5 is a bit different so please, if you have any questions at all do ask.

This discussion has been closed.