What happens to my 1Password data if I lose my work license by leaving the company

M1tch
M1tch
Community Member
edited November 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi,
Here is my situation. I work for a web development studio and due to lots of clients site we use 1 password which is fantastic.
I have a company macbook pro, galaxy s5 android phone and a personal Windows 10 PC at home.

We have a 5 user license at work which we use on our macbooks. i have started using this on my personal accounts to on my macbook.

Now i want to work from my PC at home and access 1 password that is installed on on my macbook. It already syncs with my android phone ( i paid 7 quid).

My concern is if i buy a windows single license @ another 16 quid as an upgrade on the 5 user at work and i leave the company then i lose everything please help me with what i should do!! without spending lots of money that i will lose again.

1Password Version: mac / android / PC
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @M1tch - I'm so glad you are making such extensive use of 1Password. I'm not too sure why you say that you would lose everything if you were to leave the company. If you add 1Password to your Windows PC at home and sync your 1Password data across to there , your 1Password data will then be preserved. Can you clarify? Thanks!

• MikeT
    edited November 2015

Hi @M1tch,

The license has no impact on your 1Password data, it is only meant to remove the trial restrictions of the main program, not your data. You and only you own your 1Password data stored in 1Password on your computer.

If you buy your own license, you can still use any 1Password data you have from work and home and if you leave the company, your data remains on your computer, the license stays the same as well.

If you leave the company, then you would have no license to legally use 1Password. You can still access your data but you would need to buy your own personal license to unlock 1Password, which would then read your data.

Note: this is regarding to your own personal 1Password version. Data managed in the upcoming 1Password for Team is owned by the team's owner and your access can be revoked if you leave the company.

• M1tch
    M1tch
    Community Member

Hi,

Thanks guys. If i leave to company it will revoke my license.

i suppose though if i just buy one license for myself at the extra cost of $10 as opposed to upgrading the company one then it wont matter.

Ok i think i know what i need to do

cheers

• MikeT
    edited November 2015

Hi @M1tch,

Thanks guys. If i leave to company it will revoke my license.

1Password won't automatically do that, we have no way of tracking that. Your license remains but your company can request this to be done since the license belongs to them. Once that happens, the next time you install 1Password on a new computer, the license will not be validated.

i suppose though if i just buy one license for myself at the extra cost of $10 as opposed to upgrading the company one then it wont matter.

In the long run, correct.

If we can be of further assistance, let us know.

This discussion has been closed.