1Password is opening Logins with the full URL saved that fails [Try editing the URL in the Logins]

ksc123
ksc123
Community Member
edited November 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

When I click on some items in 1Password, I will occasionally see a failed URL request with my password appended to the URL in the browser. Plain text. Not good. Any ideas how to prevent this?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: forum-search:password appended to URL

Comments

• MikeT
    edited November 2015

Hi @ksc123,

We don't append your password to the URL but we do save the full URL when 1Password detects a new Login item for you to save. That means some of your sites were submitting the passwords in the address bar.

You can fix this by editing the URL in your Login to remove the last part and use the address that points to the site's Login page.

• ksc123
    ksc123
    Community Member

MikeT - thanks for the response and sorry for the delay on my response. I understand that 1Password does not append the password to the URL. The website this occurs on does not get the password that way either. The issue is that the target fields on the webpage I'm trying to logon to are somehow not where the information lands. The description I gave above occurred when I attempted to logon to a site with a Username and Password field on the site. The user name was entered into the Password field and the Password was then appended to the URL in the browser (as if it were the password field).

On certain sites it simple puts the data in the wrong place. I've checked the URL and the password is not part of that in my 1Password database.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it or not; but, the 1Password entries were created on the Mac version and the 1Password Dropbox database is used for the windows version.

• MikeT
    edited November 2015

Hi @ksc123,

Can you open the main 1Password program, locate that specific Login item and edit it, look for the Auto-Type section, does it have Use Auto-Type in web browser checked?

If yes, uncheck it and save it. Try again, does it work better?

Also, can you tell me which browser you're using?

• ksc123
    ksc123
    Community Member

I'm using Chrome Version 46.0.2490.86 m. I can't install the Firefox extension still (there is another thread on that though - not by me). Un-checking Auto-Type did correct the problem. I will certainly avoid that in the future. Thanks for the help!

• MikeT
    edited November 2015

I'm glad to hear that and you're welcome.

What thread are you referring to? I'd like to help you fix this Firefox issue if you can tell me what happens when you try to install it.

• ksc123
    ksc123
    Community Member

P.S. There is an Auto-Type icon on the menu bar that still says this account will be used for Auto-Type even though i disabled it and it works. Interestingly enough, it also shows it's use for Firefox extensions - maybe it's causing the extension problem too? Is there a way to disable this feature for all sites?

• ksc123
    ksc123
    Community Member

I will look for the thread. The error I get on the Windows 10 machine every time I try to install the 1Password extension is: "The add-on could not be downloaded due to a connection failure."

• ksc123
    ksc123
    Community Member

And that is Firefox 42.0 by the way.

• Hi @ksc123,

If you mean the toolbar of the main 1Password program, that's intentional and is for one-use, it has nothing to do with the browser extensions. Do not click on that button if you don't want to use it, double-click on the Logins itself and it'll use the browser extension to fill your data. The browser extensions and Auto-Type are two separate functions, the latter is done by the 1Password programs, not the extensions.

There is no way to globally disable Auto-Type, this is not used by default and requires you to turn it on individually for your item by editing them manually to check the box.

Can you explain what the problem is for Firefox?

• ksc123
    ksc123
    Community Member

MikeT - Thanks again. All good. Yes, toolbar (my bad). When looking for the original post on same Firefox issue, I found one that said you need to disable 3rd party virus protection. I have Bitdefender Total Security 2016. I disabled that and was able to install the plugin. Everything is working great now. I appreciate the help. Have a great day.

• That's super great to hear and be sure to turn BitDefender back on now that 1Password is installed.

You're welcome and enjoy your weekend.

This discussion has been closed.