I am unable to sync 1Password with a new Windows 10 compter. Error message: 'Key data file could not

'Key data file could not be loaded' then "encryptionKeys.js might have been moved or deleted"

Dropbox is syncing other files correctly. I have "repaired vault" per instructions. Still get error message. Please help. Thanks.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 10 pro
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:how do I ask a question that gets an answer!

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pnm: Often it simply takes some time for Dropbox to sync everything, especially at first. If you open the .agilekeychain on the computer you're syncing the vault from, do you see encryptionkeys.js? If it been deleted there, that would explain why it isn't syncing. And if you can verify its presence there, login to the Dropbox website and verify that it's been sync'd to Dropbox in the first place.

if you're still having trouble, follow the steps in this guide to verify your Dropbox setup, as that will help narrow down the problem. And then let me know the OS and 1Password versions you're using on all devices. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• pnm
    pnm
    Community Member

encryptionsKeys file was in the .agilekeychain but lacked the .js suffix. I renamed it and the new file name appeared on the computer that I am attempting to sync. Same error message appears, but now clicking on the problem link takes me a step further (to not found page). Out of time now, I'll pursue more this evening. OS on new machine is Windows 10 pro, OS on working machine is Windows 7, 1Pasword version is 4.6.0.592. Thank you for your help!

• Hi @pnm,

Do not modify any of the files, you should not edit or change anything related to your encryption keys without us telling you first.

Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report on your PC with this issue. The guide also includes an email address on where to email the report to us. In the email, also include the link to this thread along with your forum username.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can look for it, and confirm we got the email.

• pnm
    pnm
    Community Member

Thank you for your help. I am not a computer expert nor am I totally ignorant. After way too much time stumbling around, being referred to help screens, articles, etc. I mostly by accident ended up on a login screen. Entered password and things started to look up a bit. After a few more error messages when installing the extension on Firefox everything appears to be working as designed. Team members on the discussion forum have been both helpful and professional. User friendly information for what should be a relatively simple process (installing and syncing to a new machine) is sadly lacking. Please share this with the people that have influence on these things. Best regards.

• Hi @pnm,

I'm glad you got it working and we will provide your feedback on our docs to our docs team, thank you for sharing it!

We are working on updating our Windows guide to be identical to the ones we have on support.agilebits.com and also make sure we have one consistent help guide instead of the current situation with two or three different outdated help sites. We do apologize about that one and are working on this.

This is the most recent guide we currently have for moving vaults between computers: https://support.1password.com/move-vault/win.html

Can you tell me if you've used that and it was still not helpful?

• pnm
    pnm
    Community Member

I did see that particular article. My vault was already parked in Dropbox, which was up and running on both machines. Several months ago I had synced with both a phone and a laptop running Window 7 and don't recall having any issues. This time I fought with it and became frustrated with the seeming lack of information on adding a existing account to a new machine. I'm sure user error was part of the problem. Maybe an "idiot-proof" step by step process would have been helpful. Phone support would have been appreciated; however I understand the costs associated with it and the decision to not make it part of the business model. Hopefully things go smoothly from here. I really like the product, thanks again for your help and concern.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Any time! I'm sorry you got off to a rocky start, but I'm glad to hear that all is well now. We don't have a call center, but we're always here for you if you have any questions. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.