License Upgrade from Mac to Windows and Mac

I have a 1password 5 for Mac license and want to add a Windows license. The upgrade page provides me three options:
1. Mac and Windows Bundle for $34.99
2. 1Password 4 for Windows for $24.99
3. Knox for Mac

If I upgrade to 1Password 4 for Windows, do I retain my existing 1Password for Mac license or do I have buy the bundle? Obviously, the bundle is more expensive.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:upgrade-license

Comments

• Hi @bnixon67,

You do not need to buy the bundle license as you already have the Mac license that's current, so you'll all set with grabbing the 1Password 4 for Windows license for 24.99$. With that, you and up to 5 family members can use the same Mac and Windows licenses on any numbers of Macs and PCs you guys have.

Also, you do not lose any of the existing licenses when buying a new or upgrading an existing license. You're just getting an upgrade discount on the new licenses. This lets you use the old license on older Mac that the newer versions won't be able to support, so we do not de-activate old licenses when buying an upgrade.

• msmelo
    msmelo
    Community Member
    edited December 2015

I assume that if one goes for the option of "upgrading" the Mac version by getting the Windows version (rather than the bundle), we end up with two separate serials that - in the future - will need to keep being upgraded separately, right?
    While if the upgrade is to the "bundle", you get a unified serial that can more cheaply be upgraded as a bundle in the future, correct?

• MikeT
    edited December 2015

Hi @msmelo,

we end up with two separate serials that - in the future - will need to keep being upgraded separately, right? While if the upgrade is to the "bundle", you get a unified serial that can more cheaply be upgraded as a bundle in the future, correct?

No, you'd still have the same option as you have now, the upgrade to the bundle would still be included alongside the individual licenses. You can choose to selectively upgrade one platform if you stop using the other platform but if you want the upgraded bundle that covers the next versions for both platforms, you can upgrade to that bundle license from either key.

Here's an example, you have a 1Password 4 for Mac license now and you bought a license for 1Password 4 for Windows despite the option for the bundle license. When 1Password 6 for Mac comes out and you enter the license key for 1Password 4 for Mac, you'd get the bundle license as well but it would cover 1Password 6 for Mac and the next version of Windows. However, that's the basis of how it would work. However for now, we are not confirming anything for the next versions. The idea is that if you no longer uses Windows, you can buy the 1Password 6 for Mac upgrade license only at cheaper price instead of being forced to upgrade your bundle license or vis versa, having a bundle license > individual license is also an option.

We are planning to overhaul our store in the future to simplify this, so that it can detect the existing licenses you have and provide you with more details on what the purchase will cover. For many users, the upcoming 1Password for Teams would simplify this because you pay monthly and get access to all of our apps for free.

This discussion has been closed.