Frequently unable to get 1Password menu in Firefox

I have 1Password 4.6.0.592 on my Windows 7 PRO computer.

I use multiple tabs and windows in Firefox 41.0.2. (this problem has been around for multiple versions of FF).

I have browser plugin 4.4.3 installed.

Frequently, when I click on the tool bar icon for 1Password, nothing happens.

Sometimes, if I re-install the plugin it works for a while.

Is this a known issue?

Thanks in advance,
Rich.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: Win 7 PRO 64bit
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @rcooke,

It's not a known issue. We've seen a few reports but it was in Chrome and we were not able to reproduce it. Some were caused by the anti-malware solution that's filtering the connection between the browser extension and 1Password Helper.

Does it happen more often when you have multiple windows open or does it also happen if you have a single window?

Can you tell us what anti-malware solution you might have?

• rcooke
    rcooke
    Community Member

Heh. I tend to always have 3 or more windows with 5 or more tabs each. Open for many hours or even days.

I have the latest AVAST free edition. I do a manual install and only install the File scanner. No toolbars or other nonsense.

• Hi @rcooke,

When you reinstall the plugin, did you also restart Firefox to make 1Password work or did it work on its own without restarting Firefox?

One thing I'm wondering is if 1Password stops working because of the amount of time it spent in your tabs. We had issues in the past where a certain browser would kill all of the content of the tab to reclaim its memory and if that happens, the extension stops working as well because our extension are a part of that tab content.

Do you have a different browser installed beside Firefox and Internet Explorer, like Opera? I'm curious to see if when things stop working in Firefox, try in Opera or Chrome to see if 1Password shows up.

• rcooke
    rcooke
    Community Member

Ah, well, you see I don't really want to restart FF because it could disturb my window and tab layout.

So I find if I open 1Password4 the program, and use its Preference pane link to the FF plugin and install that. It usually starts working again.

I have Chrome and the 1Password plugin, and it works fine. I don't typically use Chrome in this fashion because I prefer FF.

As it happens, when I started this thread it was not working. And I upgraded FF to 42.0 which forced an FF restart. And the plugin started working.

But just as I'm typing this, I checked and the plugin has STOPPED working.

So, what would you like to do for a test or diagnostic now that I am in the "failing state"?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, well, you see I don't really want to restart FF because it could disturb my window and tab layout.

@rcooke: Unfortunately Firefox will need to restart anyway in order to update...and of course if there's an update pending that can cause issues for extensions like what you're describing, so that was really the best place to start.

As it happens, when I started this thread it was not working. And I upgraded FF to 42.0 which forced an FF restart. And the plugin started working. But just as I'm typing this, I checked and the plugin has STOPPED working.

What other extensions do you have? Often adblocking extensions will also block localhost connections for some reason, so that would pose a problem. Try disabling the others and restarting Firefox to see if that helps.

If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• rcooke
    rcooke
    Community Member
    edited November 2015

Arrrr matey, Love your Avatar!

Diagnostic report done and sent.

Hm. Something fixed the plugin. Its started working again.

It may have been closing and re-opening a tab (not restarting FF). I accidentally closed the window that had this tab, so I brought it back from "history".

I tried to post the troublishooting list out from Fire Fox, but your website says the post is 6,645 characters "too long"?

tch tch.

And when I try to attach it as a Text or ZIP file it says "Not allowed".

Now that's just silly!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

And when I try to attach it as a Text or ZIP file it says "Not allowed".
    Now that's just silly!

@rcooke: Arr! Not at all, that's very intentional, as we don't want people posting diagnostic information on a public forum. Sorry for the confusion.

We've received your diagnostics via email, so we'll see if that provides any insight into what might have gone wrong. I'm glad to hear it's working for you now, though. :pirate:

ref: MQZ-73214-692

• rcooke
    rcooke
    Community Member

Ahoy Matey!

I'm gonna heave-to and tally ho until you signal me again!

Is September 19th your fav. day?
    (http://www.talklikeapirate.com/)

• Hi @rcooke,

So, everything's working perfectly now? Please do keep an eye out on this and let us know if it happens again. I believe the issue is Mozilla might be killing the extension scripts when the tab goes idle for a very long time. In each tab you have, there's also a copy of the 1Password extension script loaded into the site. The browser extension connects to 1Password Helper, the local background service on your PC to serve your 1Password data. When you click on the 1Password icon in most browsers except IE, it sends a command to 1Password Helper to bring up its menu. If for some reason, Firefox kills the extension script and that causes some issues with our command calls, 1Password Helper never gets the call to bring up its menu. That's why restarting or reinstalling works, it re-initializes the connection to Helper.

Sept 19th is probably @brenty's birthday. :pirate:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'd wink, but...yknow, eyepatch. :pirate:

This discussion has been closed.