wifi sync

none of the suggestions under wifi sync seem to work for me being able to sync my Windows PC w. my iOS device... no matter what I try the PC will not show up in the list under 'WiFi Sync on the iphone' no matter what i change or how many times i click refresh list..

THIS USED TO WORK BTW

please advise

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:wifi sync

Comments

• ecrates
    ecrates
    Community Member

I also have the latest PC versions and iOS version of 1Password installed on both systems

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ecrates: Sorry for the trouble! If it used to work, something has changed in your network environment, as we haven't changed how Wi-Fi Sync works for years. ;)

It is important to remember that there is a lot that can go wrong with Wi-Fi in general (as I am sure we all know from experience!) It depends on every link in the chain, and the weakest can always cause it to break. I know you've probably tried some of these steps already, but I want to make sure that we account for every point of failure. Please try each of the following:

1. Make sure your devices are connected to the same network!
    2. Reset device Wi-Fi (both devices)
    3. Restart OS (both devices)
    4. Soft-reset router (if possible)
    5. Hard-reset router
    6. Reset sync settings (both devices)
    7. Forget the Wi-Fi network and reconnect
    8. Disable software firewall
    9. Disable security software
    10. If security or firewall software turns out to be the issue, turning it back on and setting an exception for the traffic may work, provided that is an option.*

*You'll need to open UDP port 5353 for both outbound and inbound traffic, which is the port that Bonjour (Apple's zeroconfig implementation) uses for connecting available services on the network.

Keep in mind that you may need to set this up in your router as well if it is blocking traffic, but generally that won't be the case.

So a good place to start is your Windows Firewall settings:

1. Open Control Panel
    2. Go to System and Security
    3. Select Windows Firewall
    4. In the Windows Firewall window, choose "Advanced Settings"
    5. In the left pane, select "Inbound Rules" (you may see several 1Password entries)
    6. Select any with a status of "Block", select "Properties", "Allow the connection", and then click "OK"
    7. Repeat for all 1Password (or Bonjour) "Block" entries
    8. Follow the 1Password WiFi Sync instructions

Double-check your network discovery settings:

Settings > Network & Internet > Ethernet, select the network adapter, enable "Find devices and content"

Network and Sharing Center > Advance Sharing Settings, enable "Turn on network discovery" (and "Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices" in Windows 8 and 10).

Both need to be on, but turning on one will — confusingly — not necessarily also turn on the other.

You can also set up an ad-hoc connection to eliminate the router as the problem:

How to create an ad-hoc wireless network

You can also renew your DHCP lease in Windows: WIN+R > cmd.exe > ipconfig /renew

And finally, if your Wi-Fi setup is simply not conducive to syncing, you can always use Dropbox Sync instead, which tends to work better since they handle all the heavy lifting, rather than depending on your network configuration.

Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

This discussion has been closed.