Copy to Windows from Mac/iOS

UltraSub
UltraSub
Community Member
edited November 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi,

Yes, I know all the options to sync exist. :)
But the problem I have is something I guess more users have or will have, and I am unable to solve it.

Situation:
Private situation: Mac running 1P, iOS running 1P. iOS syncs over wifi or dropbox.
Business situation: Windows 7 laptop running 1P. Dropbox and iCloud blocked, local shares blocked, usb blocked.

Was previously using LastPass, so no issues there. I prefer local database, and I don't mind a not instant sync to the business laptop. But not being able to get a copy there sucks big time. I also tried zipping the agilekeychain and downloading it, but Windows extracts it to a tree and 1P says not a valid 1P vault.

Does anyone have a solution? Running out of options here. Sure hope I don't have to move to Keepass due to this issue :(

/edit
For example, my feeling is that the Windows laptop doing a wifi sync to the mac server might work. And that's something which strikes me as odd. Why isn't it possible to do a wifi sync from a pc to a mac (or vice versa). Just make one system the master, and be done with it. :)

All running latest versions of 1P.
Running dropbox and wifi sync.

Comments

• Hi @UltraSub,

I also tried zipping the agilekeychain and downloading it, but Windows extracts it to a tree and 1P says not a valid 1P vault.

.agilekeychain is technically a folder but acts as a single bundle file on OS X. It is supposed to extract to 1Password.agilekeychain as a folder on Windows.

However, you have to make sure the folder's name ends in .agilekeychain and you select that folder to open with 1Password, not go inside it. If you go inside that folder's content, it will not be valid.

What some users managed to do is use Folder Sync on the Mac to export the .agilekeychain file to a folder of their choosing and copy that over to their USB drive or however they want to handle it. Once they do this, they just have to copy it to their work computer in their Documents > 1Password directory before opening 1Password. This will work since that's the default location for the 1Password.agilekeychain folder.

You said your company blocks the USB ports, how are you grabbing the zip file to your work computer?

For example, my feeling is that the Windows laptop doing a wifi sync to the mac server might work. And that's something which strikes me as odd. Why isn't it possible to do a wifi sync from a pc to a mac (or vice versa). Just make one system the master, and be done with it. :)

The main reason is that the desktop program has to know how to deal with sync conflicts and as a server/client at the same time syncing between all computers and mobile devices in the same Wi-Fi network, it isn't that easy for us to do it right the first time. We have plans to support this in the future.

It is possible you might be able to have a better solution in the future with our upcoming 1Password for Teams service if your previous service works fine in your network.

This discussion has been closed.