2 users sharing vault on windows

I have just set up 1Password on Windows 10 using IE11 as my browser and want to share the vault with both mine and my wifes user logins. We don't want to use dropbox or internet based service as we only use the single PC and don't want our data anywhere else. Is it pssoblbe to set this up as at the moment the vault is available form my login but not when my wife switches user to her login

1Password Version: 1password 4 downloaded last week
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: none
Referrer: forum-search:Multiple users on Windows 10

Comments

• Hi @Mxrobinson,

You want to share the same 1Password vault between two Windows accounts on the same PC, is that right? Do you want to share everything in 1Password or just a specific vault?

What you can do is share the folder with your wife using Windows' Sharing feature. Here's how it would work:

1. Right-click on the 1Password.agilekeychain folder in your Documents > 1Password directory and select Share with > Specific People. If you want to share everything including your 1Password backups, you can share the parent 1Password folder instead.
    2. Add your wife account, make sure it is read-write permission level and copy the link it gives you.
    3. Have your wife log in, use that link to enter in the address bar of Windows File Explorer and you should see the 1Password folder show up. If it does, proceed with the next step, this is a test to make sure the share is showing up first.
    4. Open 1Password and direct it to that folder you're sharing (Network > PC > your username > Documents > 1Password) and she should be able to select the 1Password.agilekeychain or 1Password.opvault folder to open it.
  • Mxrobinson
    Mxrobinson
    Community Member

Hi MikeT - thanks for this. I have followed your instructions and all looks good until I am in my wifes account and try to open 1Password. I then get an error message saying "Your 1Password Vault could not be unlocked with the password you provided". I have checked your instructions and reset the sharing several times and checked my password still opens the vault in my account ok. I've also shared a Word document and I can open & edit that ok from both accounts. So I'm pretty sure I have the sharing set up correctly.

One thing I neglected to mention is that I have the trial version of 1Password (ver 4.6.0.592) for Windows installed and working in Demo mode so could this issue be a limitation of the Trial / Demo version?

Any other ideas you have to help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Mark

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

One thing I neglected to mention is that I have the trial version of 1Password (ver 4.6.0.592) for Windows installed and working in Demo mode so could this issue be a limitation of the Trial / Demo version?

@Mxrobinson: No. You'll simply be limited to viewing items once you go past 20.

I have followed your instructions and all looks good until I am in my wifes account and try to open 1Password. I then get an error message saying "Your 1Password Vault could not be unlocked with the password you provided".

This really sounds like you're opening one vault and using the Master Password for the other. Double-check the path to the vault in 1Password on both user accounts and make sure they match. Otherwise you've probably got a different vault open in each. Maybe try the other password. Tell me what you find! :)

• Mxrobinson
    Mxrobinson
    Community Member

Hi brenty, thanks for your help.

I'm pretty certain I only have one vault which is under my "Dad" login on the PC. When logged in as my wife "Lynda" I have looked at the path when I open 1Password and click on File> Open 1Password Vault and it shows the correct path as C:\Users\Dad\Documents\1Password\1Password.agilekeychain which is the same path I see under my Dad login.

As a test I have also added a Word document to the 1Password folder on the "Dad" login and I can open that ok from the "Lynda" login

Also when I do a search on "agilekeychain" it only finds the Vault within the "Dad" directory.

So I'm stumped - any ideas?

Nice Pirate pic by the way!

Thanks
    Mark

• Hi @Mxrobinson,

That's unusual, I tested this again and it works for me.

You and your wife have the same settings for the keyboard and locale, right? I'm wondering if the password might be typed differently in your wife's account if she has different settings.

Try creating a new demo vault, share that between both accounts and see if you can unlock it. Here's how:

1. Open the main 1Password program in your Dad account and go to the File Menu > New Demo 1Password Vault
    2. Use the simple demo password for this demo vault and then share that demo folder with your wife's computer account
    3. See if you can unlock this demo vault while logged into the wife's computer.

If in fact, it does work fine for the 'demo' vault, I'd suggest trying to change your master password for your primary vault and then try again with the wife's account to see if it works.

• Mxrobinson
    Mxrobinson
    Community Member

Hi MikeT

Great - That worked thanks....but it appears that when I try different passwords that those that include letters, digits and special characters like @ it only works on the original Dad login. When I use the same password but remove the @ from it, it works ok. I've tried this with several versions and it only works when the password only consists of letters and digits.

Strange one!

Anyway it works enough for me now!

Thanks to you and brenty for your help here

Cheers
    Mark

• Hi @Mxrobinson,

That is unusual, we'll take a look and see what we can do, the characters should work unless there's a Windows issue with it.

And on behalf of the team here, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.