System restore changes vault to earlier state

On Windows 7.

This happened a while back. But at one time had to do a system restore to an earlier time. Then had a problem signing into a website with 1Password as it kept saying my password or something was incorrect. Luckily I backed my vault up to external memory device. And I compared that vault to the vault in my computer and the password was different.

And so I used the externally saved vault password to sign into that website, and it worked.

Only thing I can think of what happened is when I did a system restore. That it changed my vault to an earlier time that had an older password in it that had later been changed.

I didn't think doing a system restore changed your documents/picture files to older saves.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@baker: Hmm. Windows System Restore should only affect system files...but a Windows Backup would include others as well. Is it possible you sync'd the data from another device, or perhaps had a sync conflict? Without more information, I can really only speculate. But this is a great example of why it's so crucial to backup your important data. I'm glad you had your 1Password vault backed up!

• baker
    baker
    Community Member

There is no syncing. It was just a System Restore. Though I think I might of done more than one in a row at the time.

• MikeT
    edited November 2015

Hi @baker,

That is unusual because System Restore isn't supposed to affect any of your data, it is limited to the system itself.

One thing I could think of is that you have two 1Password data folders and a restore could undo the registry change 1Password makes to point to a specific 1Password folder. Can you scan the drive to see if there are other folders that ends in .agilekeychain and .opvault.

• baker
    baker
    Community Member

I only see the .opvault type files that point to "My Documents".

I do have 1Password backups. Kind of wonder if the "system restore" might have activated the 1Password backup or something?

• Hi @baker,

1Password would not automatically restore on its own if it detected no existing data folders and even if it can see backups. What would happen instead is that it'd show the welcome setup with three options; create a new vault, find an existing vault, and/or restore from a backup.

You said files as in more than one, how many folders ending in .opvault do you see in My Documents? If there is more than one, than that can explain it since one of them might be the older data vault with the old password.

One thing I did find out is that Windows 10 has System Restore turned off by default, so that was surprising to see when I wanted to test this quickly.

• baker
    baker
    Community Member

@MikeT,

In Documents, I have a "1 Password" folder. Inside that folder is the .opvault file. And there is only ONE of those files there.

• Hi @baker,

Thanks for the info. In that case, I'm not sure what happened there, that doesn't sound right at all.

Based on your experience here, I would recommend adding a secondary backup method as the Windows built-in isn't reliable for you.

This discussion has been closed.