“code signature could not be verified” on Windows after machine crashed

My Dell E6420 crashed as the battery died and I was resuming it from sleep. On restarting I was offered the latest version of 1Password (4.6.0.592) so I installed it. Then I got the common “code signature could not be verified”. My first thought was just to rollback to the previous version of 1Password (4.6.0.586), so I uninstalled .592 and installed .586. Still got the same problem. I read the troubleshooting page for “code signature could not be verified” more carefully and tried the steps. Restarted Chrome browser, didn't solve it. Uninstalled Chrome, uninstalled 1Password, reinstalled them both. Didn't solve it. Turned off Windows Firewall and 'real-time' protection in Microsoft Security Essentials. Didn't change anything. Installed Firefox. Still get the same problem on that browser. Tried system restore to a few days ago, system restore failed. I think it was citing some security issue, so I turned off Security Essentials again, retried and it failed again.
I'd be very grateful for any ideas on what to try next! Thanks

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
Extension Version: 4.4.3.90
OS Version: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:invalid-code-signature-win

Comments

• It looks like some piece of software on your PC is interfering with the communication between 1Password, the 1Password Helper (a necessary background application) and the browser extensions.
    The most common culprits are antivirus and firewall applications or the use of a proxy server.

Can you please tell us which security software you're using apart from Microsoft Security Essentials and whether you're using a proxy server?

• jonstafford
    jonstafford
    Community Member

"Which proxy server?" made me realize what I hadn't tried / thought of. I have Ad Muncher running. I turned it off, and 1Password is working again. This is curious, as I've run 1Password+Ad Muncher+Chrome on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit for over a year already.
    I'm certain I've never followed "Configuring AdMuncher (browser extension)" https://support.1password.com/configure-admuncher/ - I found and saw this for the first time ever from googling a moment ago. I'll give it a try.
    Thanks very much for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jonstafford: Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the update! While 1Password's operation has't changed, it may be that AdMuncher has changed at some point. Generally a good rule of thumb is to make an exception for 1Password specifically if possible, or localhost (127.0.0.1) traffic on your computer, which will allow the Helper to communicate with the extensions. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.