if my contents.js file shows up on my dropbox, and my computer is in for repairs...

computer is in for motherboard replacement, i noticed that the contents.js file has been placed in my dropbox... makes me suspicious, is there anything to be concerned about?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:if my contents.js file shows up on my dropbox, and my computer is in for repairs...

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lloyd60: I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but to be clear, contents.js is part of the AgileKeychain specification. It does not include login credentials. But of course if you want to keep any information out of the hands of someone working on your computer, the best thing to do would be to backup your Dropbox folder, disconnect the device from Dropbox (to avoid syncing any further changes), and simply delete the Dropbox folder from your computer.

1Password vault data and Dropbox data are encrypted both in transit and stored on Dropbox servers, but of course data in the Dropbox folder has to be readable on your computer in order for you to use it. Does that help?

• Hi @lloyd60,

Did you check the date and time and see when it was created? Dropbox has an Events page on their website that can give you more details on this.

This file can be created in any 1Password program once you open it and unlock it, it's a part of our .agilekeychain structure as brenty mentioned but it does not mean that it was created from the PC that was in the repair but could be done in other 1Password programs you might be using right now.

• lloyd60
    lloyd60
    Community Member

thanks, guys, i quickly glanced at the file and saw the words 'password' and phrases like '/members-login/",1403212132,"",0,"N"],'

since these are not login credentials, as such, then there is no concern...

any idea why or how this file would show while the computer was out of my control?

i did not do anything that i know of to have caused this...

• Hi @lloyd60,

Was that PC the only PC with 1Password installed, you don't have any other computer or mobile device that you're syncing with? We assume since you're using Dropbox, you are syncing your 1Password data with another computer or mobile device as there is no need to sync if you only have one computer.

• lloyd60
    lloyd60
    Community Member

i have 1P installed on others, yes, but have never seen this file before and to my knowledge did not cause it to rather suddenly appear...

• Hi @lloyd60,

This file would've existed as soon as you create a new vault, which means this file should've existed the moment you started using 1Password. 1Password on other computers will automatically regenerate this contents.js file if it is missing, you don't have to do anything to make it appear, it will be done as soon as you use 1Password on other PCs.

I would check to see the date/time on the file to see when it was created and to make sure it is the same vault, not a new vault you've created elsewhere.

This discussion has been closed.