autoupdate places the newly created password into a incorrect login, having the same web address

Options
michael_snapinn
michael_snapinn
Community Member

I have been using 1password for 2 years and have seen the problem I am about to report several times.

Both my wife and I have accounts at the same institutions, in example Medicare, Insurance companies,, etc.
When I log into my account in which my wife has a similar account at the same institution( same website) for the purpose of changing my password, after entering my existing password, then using the Password Generator to create a new password, then pasting the newly generated password into the new password and confirm fields, and then finally clicking the form's submit button the following usually occurs.
The 1password auto submit dialog box appears with the login for my wife's account and if we click update, my newly created password will go into her login. Even though I have updated my password correctly at the site , to correct this anomaly I must reveal her website login and copy it into my login password which is the original password I used to log into the website to change the password.
We then must reenter her password which we have written down before updating my password to restore her non updated login password.

In summary:
This problem has existed since we purchase 1password and has always been present in all OS X software, Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan and associated versions of 1password.
The incorrect autoupdate only appears when the login used to update a password has an identical login website for a different user in the same vault ( different name and different password from the login being used to change password but same web address).
In addition it makes no difference if either user is changing their password, autoupdate may select the wrong user if the website is the same.

I think you may be asking yourself why hasn't anyone reported this problem before, good question. However I believe you can easily duplicate what I have described with similar results.

1Password Version: 5.4(540046)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:autoupdate places the newly created password into a incorrect login, having the same website

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @michael_snapinn,

I'm sorry the process to update a Login password hasn't been as smooth as it should be! However, if I understand the situation, I think you've already pinpointed the exact reason this is happening:

The 1password auto submit dialog box appears with the login for my wife's account and if we click update, my newly created password will go into her login.

If 1Password prompts you to save the new password in your wife's Login item, and you click the Update button, it will save the new password in your wife's Login item as expected. Instead, when that prompt appears, you'll need to select your own Login item before clicking the Update button.

To elaborate on that, 1Password doesn't know whose account you're changing on the website. It just detects that you've entered a new password into a web form, and the website address matches at least one Login item saved in your vault. Because you have two different Login items for the same site, it suggests the first one it finds that matches the website address. If it's the wrong one, you need to choose the correct Login you want to update.

Now, when you change the password field of a Login item in 1Password, it keeps a record of the previous password. So if you accidentally update the password in the wrong Login item again, open the main 1Password app and find the Login item you accidentally changed, and you should see a "show previously used passwords" button. Click that to see the previous password, and you can copy that back into the password field when you edit that item.

I hope this helps, but if you have more questions about that (or if I misunderstood the problem), please let us know. Thanks! :)

• michael_snapinn
    michael_snapinn
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew,
    Thanks for your excellent explanation to my inquiry.

I have one question but before ask it I would like to briefly describe the procedure I use to update a login password at a website that both my life and I have an account.
    After using 1password to enter my existing password I then use the password generator to generate a new password. I then highlight the generated password ,command c, and then use command v to fill both the new password and confirm field. I use this method to ensure that when I click the form's submit button, the AUTOUPDATE login dialog box will appear.
    When I update my login password at a site that we both have an account the resulting autoupdate dialog box will always be associated with my wife's login because her name always appears before mine in the vault's login list, because we use our first names in the Login Name and she is Lynette and I,m Mike, L before M in our alphabet.

My question is when I have changed my password and the autoupdate dialog box pops up with my wife's login name, can I change the login name from my wife to mine "in the autoupdate dialog box" and if I can, could you briefly describe that process. In your response you state " you need to choose the correct Login you want to update". How do I change her login to mine in the pop up dialog box?

Thanks
    Mike Snapinn

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @michael_snapinn,

After using 1password to enter my existing password I then use the password generator to generate a new password. I then highlight the generated password ,command c, and then use command v to fill both the new password and confirm field. I use this method to ensure that when I click the form's submit button, the AUTOUPDATE login dialog box will appear.

Assuming you're using the password generator option in 1Password mini (or the browser extension) then no problem - that's the correct way to change a password and make sure 1Password prompts you to update a Login item with that new password. When you do that on a site where you and your wife have different accounts, you just need to remember to select your own Login item to update. More on that below...

My question is when I have changed my password and the autoupdate dialog box pops up with my wife's login name, can I change the login name from my wife to mine "in the autoupdate dialog box" and if I can, could you briefly describe that process.

Yes and yes! :) Here's a screenshot of the "Update Login" window that you should see after submitting the 'change password' form on a website:

In that screenshot, "Gmail - Wendy" is the name of the Login item that will be changed if you click the 'Update' button. Let's pretend it says "Gmail - Lynette" instead. You would simply click on that and choose "Gmail - Mike". (Of course, the actual names of the Login items will be different for you, but the point is that you click on the name of the Login item and choose the correct one.)

Does that help? If you're seeing something different, please describe what you see instead. Thanks!

• michael_snapinn
    michael_snapinn
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Drew for a complete and understandable explanation. I love my wife, and I love 1password!
    Regards,
    Mike

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome, @michael_snapinn! I'm glad my explanation was helpful, and I'm really happy to hear you love 1Password (and your wife, of course ;) ). We want our customers to enjoy using it as much as we love making & supporting it! :)

We're here for you if you need anything else. Have a great weekend!

This discussion has been closed.