Browser extension almost always cannot find helper

Most of the time, when I click on the icon for the 1Password extension in Firefox, I get sent to the URL https://agilebits.com/browsers/welcome.html where I see the error message

Looking for the 1Password helper

The 1Password helper must be running for the extension to work properly.

with a throbber, which is inevitably followed up by

Either the helper is not running, or something is preventing it from communicating with the 1Password browser extension.

What does the helper do?

What might be causing the problem?

When I have the 1P application open, going to any new tab in FF locks the 1P vault regardless of how long it's been since I entered my master password to unlock the vault.

This is happening now, and Task Manager tells me I have both 1password.exe and Agile1pAgent.exe running (I'm guessing the former is the desktop app and the latter is the helper?).

The first time I saw the links in the error page, they eventually brought me to your Sophos help page. I followed the instructions there, and then restarted my computer. After that, 1P worked normally one time, and then I started getting the same error message again. I reopened Sophos and confirmed that the setting to allow 127.0.0.1 was still active.

I just upgraded to Windows 10 Pro a couple days ago from Windows 7 Pro, but this issue existed with exactly the same symptoms (as far as I can tell) while I was running Win7. Similarly, I started having problems with the extension while running FF 41, and I have since upgraded to FF 42.0, but that doesn't seem to have made any difference either.

Other Firefox extensions I'm running are NoScript, OneTab, ReloadEvery and Video DownloadHelper. A quick web search didn't bring up any results indicating adverse interactions between any of these and 1P, so I didn't try uninstalling them yet. I also have LastPass installed, but it's already disabled (getting away from LastPass is the whole reason I started using 1P).

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: N/A (local only)
Referrer: kb:configure-sophos

Comments

• Hi @sachint11,

Actually, NoScript has caused problems in the past many times. Please try disabling all extensions in Firefox except for 1Password, restart Firefox and see if it works consistently. If yes, re-enable one by one to see if any one of them would start breaking it. It wouldn't surprised us if all of them turned back on without causing further problems.

If it is still causing problems without the rest of the extensions enabled, then please generate a 1Password diagnostic report right after this. Use this guide to generate the report to email to us and, in the email, also include the link to this thread along with your forum username.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can look for it, and confirm we got the email.

This discussion has been closed.