Feature request: computer-to-computer Wi-Fi Sync

This discussion was created from comments split from: WIFI Sync: Win+Mac+iOS.

Comments

• funzyl
    funzyl
    Community Member
    edited November 2015

Hi there,
    I just want to say that I hope to see the possibility of computer-to-computer wifi-sync implemented into 1Password.
    I have different use cases in my household that absolutely need this feature. I know that it's easy to sync via Dropbox but as a privacy-sensitive user, I do not want to install Dropbox onto my devices. So this would really help a lot. pushing the request ;)

Despite that, keep up the great work (and the fabulous release notes ;) )!
    funzyl

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@funzyl: It's important to note that your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data — Dropbox or otherwise.

But you're absolutely right: in some cases it would be incredibly useful to be able to have a computer be a sync client as opposed to server. Hopefully we'll be able to add that feature in the future.

And thanks so much for your kind words and support! I don't write them, so I don't mind saying that the release notes are pretty awesome. Of course, I'd have to read them anyway, so I'm very grateful that I can enjoy doing so. Cheers! :)

• funzyl
    funzyl
    Community Member

Hi brenty,
    I'm 100% aware of that and I don't mind using iCloud Sync for me personally (and then syncing to my Windows PC via my old iPod touch by changing the connected 1Password-server-device - works but isn't elegant). My parents are (due to different Apple IDs) unable to sync their vault via iCloud*. I've read several articles about Dropbox's ability to actually access more on your PC/Mac than the folder you choose for syncing. So this is more of a general 'I don't trust Dropbox enough to let them access my computer'-problem than a 'I am worried that my 1Password data could be compromised'-problem.

Therefore, WiFi-Sync between a couple of PCs/Macs seems like the only solution for my parents. ;)

As a tech-interested user, I also read all release notes and your ones are definitely among the funniest and most enjoyable to read! :)

*(They use several devices together with the same vault but the devices are registered to different Apple IDs.)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm 100% aware of that and I don't mind using iCloud Sync for me personally (and then syncing to my Windows PC via my old iPod touch by changing the connected 1Password-server-device - works but isn't elegant).

@funzyl: Please just be aware that every time you disable sync and pair with a new computer, you're destroying the sync state that 1Password tracks, so you can end up with more sync conflicts this way. After all, there's a reason there's only a place for one 'secret', and that each iOS device can only be paired with a single computer at any given time. Be sure to backup your data just in case.

I've read several articles about Dropbox's ability to actually access more on your PC/Mac than the folder you choose for syncing. So this is more of a general 'I don't trust Dropbox enough to let them access my computer'-problem than a 'I am worried that my 1Password data could be compromised'-problem.

Ah, understood. Thanks for clarifying. Indeed, any (non-App-Store) apps you install on your computer have access to the full filesystem. This hasn't changed in decades, and will probably be the case until we're all using iOS (or something like it).

*(They use several devices together with the same vault but the devices are registered to different Apple IDs.)

Indeed. Currently there's no way to sync or share data between iCloud accounts. Hopefully Apple will be able to add that in the future — in a way that will work both for us and our parents. ;)

As a tech-interested user, I also read all release notes and your ones are definitely among the funniest and most enjoyable to read! :)

Me too! And since I'm not the one who writes them, I don't feel weird saying that they're pretty awesome. I think release notes in general are pretty informative, but making them fun to read helps me actually do so. I'll pass on your complement to the rest of the team! :chuffed:

• funzyl
    funzyl
    Community Member

Please just be aware that every time you disable sync and pair with a new computer, you're destroying the sync state that 1Password tracks, so you can end up with more sync conflicts this way. After all, there's a reason there's only a place for one 'secret', and that each iOS device can only be paired with a single computer at any given time. Be sure to backup your data just in case.

I didn't assume so much to be going on under the hood there. Thanks for the information! :+1:
    I'll have to continue doing so but - fortunately ;) - I don't use the Windows PC that often and I only sync when I need a particular password that has not already been synced, so hopefully nothing crashes. And from now on, I will backup manually before I start syncing :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I didn't assume so much to be going on under the hood there. Thanks for the information! :+1:

@funzyl: Any time! We go to a lot of trouble to make sure that you don't end up with duplicate information, or worse: old data replacing new!

I'll have to continue doing so but - fortunately ;) - I don't use the Windows PC that often and I only sync when I need a particular password that has not already been synced, so hopefully nothing crashes. And from now on, I will backup manually before I start syncing :)

I know that some people have been doing this without issue for a very long time, and I wish you luck. It just isn't something we can recommend because Wi-Fi Sync wasn't designed to work that way, and it increases the chances of conflicts. But having a backup means that if you do run into trouble, you're just a quick restore away from relief. Cheers! :)

• funzyl
    funzyl
    Community Member

Hi :)
    I just wanted to know whether there's any news on this feature? :)

• Hi @funzyl - I'm sorry but we have no plans to add the option to use WiFi sync between two computers. You might find that a combination of folder sync between computers and WiFi sync to your devices might work for you. We have a support article explaining the different combinations you can use here.

This discussion has been closed.