Security question - where do they go?

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

I’ve been reading this: https://blog.agilebits.com/2012/08/11/blizzard-and-insecurity-questions-my-fathers-middle-name-is-vr2ut1vnj/

Is this still valid? I find that there’s no File - New Item - New password option. Should we just use the password generator in the browser instead?

Also, the article suggest to keep these questions and answers in the Notes field, but I find it easier to create labels instead so I can just copy with one click - is this recommended?

Not sure what this means “One point I should make here is that I store these in the “notes” within a Login (instead of within custom fields) because notes will be preserved if the Login is updated later in the browser. Form fields will be replaced on such an update.”

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I'm assuming you're using 1P4 or 1P5. In that case, 1Password has become rather more sophisticated since publication of that blog post—and, in essence, my view is that you're doing all the right things. It's good to use the password generator to generate "nonsense" replies to security questions and is perfect to have custom labels and fields for those replies so that you can copy them.

I confess I can't give a very satisfactory answer to the last paragraph of your post. I was not aware that custom fields could automatically update if the login itself is updated through the browser. I have many saved logins with security questions. I've checked all of them and when I click on show web form details for the relevant item in the main app none of them shows any security question answer saved in web form details. I think you should await a comment from an AgileBits' expert on that point!

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @henders,

1Password has come along a lot since 2012 and like yourself I now use custom fields to store all my security questions. It allows me to use the label for the question and the field for the answer. On top of this I can set the field to the password type so it is typically hidden and as you've already pointed out, it allows for one click copy which is handy. I find a custom section containing all of this is much more neat than the use of the note field but it's about personal preference.

If you do change the field type you should hopefully see a familiar icon and I'm attempting to show both in the screenshot below.

The icon circled and labelled with the number 1 is what brings up the small field type window and the icon labelled with the number 2 is the Password Generator that you can access from within the main 1Password window.

Now updating a password item should only alter the main password field - we shouldn't ever touch any custom fields. I personally haven't experienced this but if you have and can reproduce then we would want to troubleshoot this with you to figure out what is happening.

Hopefully something here helps but if you still have questions please do let us know :smile:

This discussion has been closed.