Windows 1Password 4 can't open vault shared from Mac 1Password 5

Trying to test 1password for our group, specifically sharing a vault. On 1Password 5 Mac, we created a secondary vault and synchronized it to a shared directory. On a second Mac, we were able to open that shared vault as a secondary vault without any issues.
However, on a Windows 7 machine with 1Password 4, when we try to open the shared vault, we get the error message: "C:\path\to\vault" is not a 1Password Vault.

Any help?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Box.com

Comments

• jonathan_neff
    jonathan_neff
    Community Member

It looks like the Box synchronization is breaking something for Windows, but not for Mac. If I bypass Box Sync and share the vault file location directly from the Mac over to Windows, then Windows 1Password 4 can open the vault correctly.

• Hi @jonathan_neff,

I can think of two reasons for this:

1. Box did not sync the folder completely. You would see that error if not all of the files arrive yet, we see this with any sync service. I would double-check to make sure Box has sync'ed everything or configured to put the folder offline. For an example, OneDrive would sync the "placeholders" for the 1Password folder but it doesn't actually exist on the drive, it just looks like it. Once you configure it to be available offline, it then works.
    2. It is possible Box is not capable of reading the bundle files on OS X, which would show up as a folder on Windows. On OS X, you can configure one folder to be one file but that's not supported on Windows and it shows up as a folder instead. Some sync services have a hard time handling this. I would check with the Box's support team to see if they can support the bundle files like this.
  • jonathan_neff
    jonathan_neff
    Community Member

Thanks @MikeT ,
    I think you are right about #2, based on what I've been seeing today. I think I've narrowed it down to the Box Sync application for Windows. If, on Windows, I download the vault folder from Box directly (not using Box Sync to sync it locally), then Windows 1Password 4 can open that downloaded vault correctly.
    Most of my team are using Macs and our solution using Box as the synchronization method is working fine for them, so we'll just have to do a bit more workaround for our Windows user for now.

• Hi @jonathan_neff,

Do keep us informed of your progress, it might help other users who may be in the same situation.

This discussion has been closed.