Cannot open 1Password folder

We are using 1Password over Dropbox in a team.

Until this morning I was able to use Dropbox under Linux (via wine emulation). Since this morning (we had to do some fiddling because the 1Password on Dropbox got corrupted with very outdated data) I cannot open the vault any more. I switched to version 4.6 and could not open it there either.

For my colleagues it works fine.
Opening a backup works fine, too. Just the newest vault my team uses inside Dropbox does not work.

The directory structure is now much cleaner than before:
Dropbox/d-mind.agilekeychain/
Dropbox/d-mind.agilekeychain/.directory
Dropbox/d-mind.agilekeychain/1Password.html
Dropbox/d-mind.agilekeychain/AgileKeychain.ico
Dropbox/d-mind.agilekeychain/data
Dropbox/d-mind.agilekeychain/data/default
Dropbox/d-mind.agilekeychain/data/default/contents.js
Dropbox/d-mind.agilekeychain/data/default/[20 files] .1password
Dropbox/d-mind.agilekeychain/.dropbox
Dropbox/d-mind.agilekeychain/desktop.ini

.... while before it had subdirectories a/ and config/ and data/ literally contained ~1400 files.

Can you help me please?
Will there be a Linux client any time?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7 (via wine on Linux)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• HI @jonaseberie,

Could you clarify what happens when you try to open 1Password under WINE? 1Password program opens fine but when you ask it to open the folder in Dropbox, it says it is not valid?

When you said it works fine for your colleagues, are they also using 1Password via WINE or on Windows?

There should not be a file or directory called .directory or .dropbox inside 1Password.agilekeychain, please move that out as soon as you can.

That looks like as if someone is running Dropbox inside the 1Password.agilekeychain folder, is that possible? Look at the content of .dropbox to confirm this.

As for 1Password for Linux, we would like to provide a native client but we don't have any information we can share right now. There might be a way that you can use 1Password on Linux using just the 1Password for Teams service that might fit your company's need better. 1Password for Teams can be used in many web browsers on most platforms.

Note that we cannot officially provide support for 1Password via WINE as Linux and WINE are not officially supported configurations. We can only provide support on 1Password on Windows. We did provide some help in our WINE guide here.

• jonaseberle
    jonaseberle
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT,

The program opens fine. After then opening a folder/vault, it succeeds for a backup of our vault but fails for the newest one.
    My colleagues are using Windowss and Macs.

Thanks! Removing the .dropbox and .directory files helped.

I can now continue to live with 1Password. Apart from the very bad usability under Wine it is OK. The occasional sync problems within a team are a hassle, though. I think 1Password is not really designed to work over Dropbox well.

Your upgraded Teams product might fix this.

• Hi @jonaseberle,

That's great to hear. However, keep this in mind if someone's Dropbox program stops working because of the removal of .dropbox files, they may need to set up Dropbox properly to work from their Documents > Dropbox folder instead of inside 1Password's data folder.

As for 1Password + Dropbox, it is actually designed to work wth Dropbox and we've been using this for more than 5 years with no major issues for most people that are using it with family and friends. However, if you have a larger team with a lot of people writing and reading it at the same time, it can be problematic since 1Password is not designed to be used in that way, where our upcoming 1Password for Teams is definitely built to handle this properly. I'd recommend signing up for it when we have Teams support available on Windows.

This discussion has been closed.