Starting 1P after upgrade to Windows 10

I've just upgraded to Windows 10 and can't get 1P to start (I can't get Dropbox to start either, so am worried about syncing between computers.

1P4 is there in my list of Windows apps. When I open it I get a grey box "Welcome to 1Password" and three options:

I am new to 1P
I have used 1P before
Restore 1P Vault from Backup

If I click on "used before" it shows a list of folders and one called '1Password' is selected. If I click OK, I get an error message saying '1Pasword has encountered a problem' and 'C:\Users\TEMP\Documents\1Password is not a 1Password Vault'.

If I try the Restore from Backup option, it opens the 1Password>Backups folder which is empty.

Just a thought: I think I had a similar problem before when I set up 1P on a new computer and I had to wait for Dropbox to do its syncing before anything worked. Having upgraded to W10, Dropbox is a complete disaster, it just won't start or work and there are thousands of users complaining about the same issue.

How do I get 1P going on my newly upgraded Windows 10 PC?

Thanks
Phil

1Password Version: 1P 4 for PC
Extension Version: not installed yet
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• @sproxton - Hi Phil, You will need to wait for Dropbox to finish syncing before you can access your 1Password vault in Dropbox. It would be worth restarting Dropbox as follows -

Click on the Dropbox icon in the bottom task bar on the right.
    Click on the settings icon and select Exit Dropbox.
    Find Dropbox in your list of programs and click on it to run it.

Please let us know if this helps.

• sproxton
    sproxton
    Community Member

Hi Laura
    Everything working now - thank you.

May I ask one other question? Unrelated? Let me know if I need to re-post. Here it is:

On Mac, the 1P extension for Chrome works beautifully - I can search for logins within the extension just by typing, then hover over the name of the login (eg, 'Agilebits') and up pops a window where I can see the username and copy or reveal the password. But on PC the extension is nowhere near as slick. To search for a login it opens another window. But then most crucially there is no way to either copy or reveal the password. To do that, I have to open the 1Password application - I can't get it from the extension at all.

Am I missing something?

Many thanks - and for the light-speed response!

Phil

• @sproxton - Phil, you are very welcome and I am so glad that helped. You can edit a 1Password record directly from the 1Password extension on a Mac. On a Windows PC you cannot edit directly , you can only select to open in the main app. However clicking on the selected login will fill your login details in the same way. You shouldn't have to copy or reveal the password. Is there a reason you are wanting to do this from the extension?

• sproxton
    sproxton
    Community Member

This is a response to an old comment - the reason I sometimes want to copy from the extension is sometimes 1P saves the wrong page (eg, it might be a forgotten password page or something different from the proper login page), so then I go and copy the password and paste it in.

• Hi @sproxton,

It would be better to correct the URL saved in the Login item, so you can make it work next time.

You can copy the password in the extension by right-clicking on the Login item in the extension and then click on the password. It'll copy it to your clipboard. The same is true for searching. If you bring up the extension and type right away to find your Login, 1Password will refresh to show you the found items, right-click on it to click on the password.

If you click on the search option to bring up the search dialog, selecting an item will show you the option to copy its password like so:

This discussion has been closed.