I have begun receiving the "code signature could not be verified" error.

Options
apraetor
apraetor
Community Member
edited November 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Chrome was up-to-date; Windows 8.1 installed the latest patches (I trigger the update process manually, weekly) and I rebooted. Since rebooting I have been receiving the "code signature" error. I have tried all the troubleshooting steps and they don't resolve the issue. Opening the About box in Chrome shows that there are no updates pending. I'm including a link to the diagnostic report 1Password generated. [Edited by MikeT]

Thanks!

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
Extension Version: 4.4.3.90
OS Version: Windows 8.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:invalid-code-signature-win

Comments

• Hi @apraetor,

In the future, please do not upload any files to our public support forum here, especially your 1Password diagnostic report. Only send them to our email support at support+windows@agilebits.com.

I've edited your post to remove it (I've got a copy of it). You should make sure to remove all traces of it in your Dropbox folder.

Just to be clear, did you already try to disable the code signature check in 1Password to see if it works? If not yet, open the main 1Password program, go to the Help Menu > Advanced to deselect Verify web browser code signature. Restart your browser and see if 1Password now works.

This may be an issue caused by your security program, rather than Chrome. Can you tell me what anti-malware solution you're using?

• apraetor
    apraetor
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Yes, it works with the code signature check disabled. Sorry for putting the file there, I couldn't use the option to send directly from the program because I use webmail and it doesn't open the Inbox web app the way most programs do from the Windows mail handler preference (not worried about resolving that bug, though). I do not have any malware software beyond Windows Defender which does hourly checks+updates (manually scripted to do that). This is a self-built, self-configured computer. There is no preloaded software of any kind and 1Password has been working perfectly since 1Password 3. There's the single-run Windows Malware Removal Tool which runs during each Windows Update patch cycle, so I suppose that technically ran during the restart which preceded this issue, but WMRT doesn't persist and only removes malware, not monitor for it unless I'm mistaken.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@apraetor: Indeed. There shouldn't be any reason that Windows Defender or the Malware Removal Tool should pose any problem. But we have to ask because there's all sorts of similar software which does. ;)

I'm sorry you're still having trouble. Please see if restarting Windows helps, even if you've already tried that, and then 1Password Help > Restart 1Password Helper. Sometimes the Helper will simply be prevented from launching on startup. Let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• Hi @apraetor,

Be sure to turn Verify web browser code signature back on after restarting to confirm that it works.

I double-checked Chrome on various Windows versions and they didn't change their code signature, so that's not it either.

Here's what I recommend in case brenty's suggestion didn't work out, try reinstalling the extension.

1. Right-click on the 1Password icon in Chrome to select Remove from Chrome..
    2. Close Chrome and then open the main 1Password program, unlock and go to the File Menu > Preferences > Browsers to click on Install Chrome extension.
    3. Follow the instructions that shows up in Chrome and after installing the extension, restart Chrome once more and see if it works.

If this doesn't work, try reinstalling Chrome.

• apraetor
    apraetor
    Community Member
    Options

I uninstalled the Windows 8.1 updates and 1Password worked again. I then reapplied them and it's still working.
    The updates in the batch:

• KB3102939
    • KB3098779
    • KB890830
    • KB3097877
    • KB3107998
    • KB3100773
    • KB3102812
    • KB3101746
    • KB3097997
    • KB3095108
    • KB3101246
    • KB3034348
    • KB3091297
    • KB3092601
    • KB3097992
    • KB3096433
    • KB3078405
    • KB3087418
    • KB3095701
    • KB3081320

Not sure why they'd have caused an issue, or why they'd not-cause it once reinstalled, but I'll take it. It works, and 1Password is the most reliable cross-platform password manager I've found so I'm not complaining :) Thanks for your help!

• Thanks for letting us know and for sharing these KB details. We'll take a look and see if we can find anything that'd explain what happened.

This discussion has been closed.