1Password not syncing across two computers

Computer 1, Running XP, has 1password for Windows Version 4.6.0.592 and and earlier Version on it, I think it is version 1 or 2
Vault path: C:\Documents and Settings\Office Computer\My Documents\Dropbox\1Password\1Password 2.agilekeychain
dropbox location : C:\Documents and Settings\Office Computer\My Documents\Dropbox
1Password Extention: 1Password: Password Manager and Secure Wallet 4.4.3.90

Computer 2, Running Windows 7, has 1password for Windows Version 1.0.9.342
Vault path: C:\Users\APS\Dropbox\1Password\1Password 3.agilekeychain (134 items)
Vault path: C:\Users\APS\Dropbox\1Password\1Password 2.agilekeychain (132 items)
dropbox location: C:\Users\APS\Dropbox Online\Dropbox
1Password Extention: 1Password: Password Manager and Secure Wallet 4.4.3.90

If these two computers were syncing properly, SHOULDN'T I have the same number of logins, same number of items in wallet, same number of items in software, same number of items in secure notes.

Thanks,

Keith

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:upgrade-windows, kb:uninstall-1password, kb:sync-options, kb:check-extension-version, kb:sync-options

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@keithjames: The first problem is that the old version of 1Password won't be able to read all of the data form the new version. It's certainly usable in this configuration, but it's not recommended. Whatever you do, if you're going to be using the latest version of 1Password on one device, don't make changes to the data using the old version, as it will not be readable.

From your description, it sounds like you actually have two vaults in Dropbox, and that you may be using each one separately, one on each computer. Is that the case? Dropbox can and will sync them both — it doesn't care — but unless you have 1Password on each machine using the same vault, they won't be sharing the same data.

Let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• keithjames
    keithjames
    Community Member

Support,

I do have two versions of 1password on computer 1. Can I just delete the old version...and that doesn't delete the vault data base..right?
    Is there a preferred way to delete the old version...such as uninstall it from the control panel.

Once I have removed the old version, then I have to deal with matching the vaults on each computer...so computer 2 has two vaults [3.agilekeychain (134 items)] and [2.agilekeychain (132 items)]. So lets say that I compare the two vaults on computer 2 and manually input the data to make the data identical...now do I have to make the vault on computer 1 & 2 have the same name such as "3.agilekeychain" and do I have to have them located in the same path...such as: C:\Users\APS\Dropbox\1Password\1Password 3.agilekeychain ...OR just the same name. I would think not the same path...but just the same name? Let me know specifically.

Also, can I store a fault on an eternal drive before deleting it just in case I missed some data when matching the two vaults.

Thanks,

Keith

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I do have two versions of 1password on computer 1. Can I just delete the old version...and that doesn't delete the vault data base..right?

@keithjames: You got it! Your 1Password vault is stored separately from the 1Password app and it's support files. You can just use the uninstaller in Windows Control Panel to remove the old version. It sounds like you know exactly what you're doing, but it never hurts to double-check! :chuffed:

Once I have removed the old version, then I have to deal with matching the vaults on each computer...so computer 2 has two vaults [3.agilekeychain (134 items)] and [2.agilekeychain (132 items)]. So lets say that I compare the two vaults on computer 2 and manually input the data to make the data identical...now do I have to make the vault on computer 1 & 2 have the same name such as "3.agilekeychain" and do I have to have them located in the same path...such as: C:\Users\APS\Dropbox\1Password\1Password 3.agilekeychain ...OR just the same name. I would think not the same path...but just the same name? Let me know specifically.

I would say definitely don't do it manually if you can help it. That sounds like a real nuisance. You can actually copy items to the clipboard (Ctrl C) in your 'old' vault, switch to your 'new' vault, and paste them in (Ctrl V). You can do this with multiple items selected, and it should help you immensely. The only caveat is that attachments cannot be copied and pasted in this way, so with any items with attachments you'll need to export the attachment to a file and then add it to the item in your new vault. Even if you end up with some duplicate items this way (you'll be prompted if there are matching titles though), it will be faster than recreating them by hand.

And ultimately the name only matters to you. You may want to create your brand new vault with a distinctive name (and rename the old ones) to avoid confusion. When you're syncing a vault between devices, you definitely need to be able to recognize it so you can use the same one everywhere — otherwise any changes you make will be going to separate vaults again.

Also, can I store a fault on an eternal drive before deleting it just in case I missed some data when matching the two vaults.

Like a backup? Absolutely! That's a great idea, even to keep a copy of your current vault(s). Better safe than sorry! :pirate:

This discussion has been closed.