cannot scroll submenu with mouse wheel (GUI tweak request)

Cormorand
Cormorand
Community Member
edited December 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

This forum is the only place I could find to make a small suggestion to improve your GUI. When I hover the mouse over logins on the Firefox toolbar 1Password extension menu, the submenu opens with my fifty logins, but my screen is not high enough to show all 50 of my logins. In the Firefox bookmark menu I can scroll the submenu with the mouse wheel. But the 1Password Extension login submenu is dead to the mouse wheel and I have to move the cursor all the way down to the bottom of the screen and click on the teeny triangle which causes the submenu to scroll all the way to the bottom. A small inconvenience, but maybe it could be fixed in the "next version". Thank you for adding this to your list of requests.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: Windows 7 Proi SP1
Sync Type: none

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Cormorand: Oh wow. 50 Logins?! I don't blame you. I'll admit that I'd never run into this myself, not having quite so many for a single site. We can certainly consider adding mouse scroll support in a future version, though I wonder if there may be some weird interactions depending on the input method (touch, wheel, trackball, etc.) Definitely something we can look into though! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Bernfrin: I can assure you that we're always working on 1Password for Windows. The changelogs and steady stream of betas bears this out. Now, we still may not be living up to your high expectations when it comes to specific features or rate of progress you'd like to see. To that I can only say that I am sorry, and we'll continue to work on it every day. If you have specific feedback as to how you'd like 1Password improved, I'd love to hear it!

• Hi @bernfrin,

It is not an exercise in futility, we do use your information but it is stored in our internal tracker for our engineering teams and as per our policy, we do not release details about the future because software development is not a precise science that follows a specific timelime. We do provide information when we have it but when we do not have anything else we can share at that point, there's not much we can say.

A customer reported an issue with a site a few days ago that causes the tab to crash in IE because of our IE plugin, we've fixed it and have released a new beta today with the fix because that has a much higher priority than the rest of the issues we have.

As for the extensions with scrolling, there is no extension UI in the browsers; you're seeing a native UI showing up on top of your browser from our 1Password Helper process running in the system tray area. The issue isn't in the extensions but in the Windows' UI component for menus, it actually has no support for scrolling with the mouse at all despite being a very basic function. In order to support mouse scrolling, we have to build a custom menu component instead and this is something that takes a lot of time, not a quick fix.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Bernfrin: Indeed, and it would be significantly more futile for you to simply hope that we'll guess what you want or happen to want it enough ourselves to do it without you saying so. The specifics matter to us, and it's clear that they matter to you as well!

While it's entirely up to you whether or not you give us feedback on how you'd like 1Password improved, I think it's in everyone's best interest to keep a dialogue going. And I sincerely hope that you won't let the realities of development dissuade you from being heard: even though we're not always able to do exactly what you want when you want us to, we care.

• Hi,

I'm not sure of the history of the Windows version of 1Password, but I believe it is at least two years old.

1Password 4 was released on 2014-06-17.

AgileBits may record customer's wishes for improvements and enhancements, but I think it is clear only improvements and enhancements that are quick and easy to implement will be considered.

You are correct that it feels like that, especially when some of the big long/complex improvements we've done are under the cover such as internationalization that benefited many users that've requested it but it doesn't help everyone who doesn't need it.

We did add some changes to make it easier to find your Logins, such as search as you type. As soon as you open 1Password in your browser, you can type right away to find your Logins. We did what we can to immediately help those who has a lot of Logins but a bigger change to enable scrolling along a few other popular requests will happen, it is going to take longer than usual. I know it feels like it will never happen but we will keep reminding our teams.

One thing is that if you really feel this is far more important than the rest of the features and you use Chrome, you could try installing the previous 1Password 3 extension and see if it works for you, it does have scrolling support due to its built-in interface but it is limited.

This discussion has been closed.