How do I setup a PIN number for my windows

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:Help for 1password for Windows, kb:windows-processes

Comments

• Hi @rjennings2553,

I'm not sure what you're asking, what PIN number are you referring to?

If you're asking for the ability to unlock 1Password with the PIN number, that is not possible. You must unlock with your master password all the time, there is no secondary method of unlocking 1Password on the desktops.

If you'd like to make it easier to unlock 1Password by doing less of it, you can adjust your auto-lock settings in 1Password's Security settings. Open the main 1Password program, unlock, and go to the File Menu > Preferences > Security. In here, you can extend the auto-lock timer, disable the auto-lock for certain situations like when you lock the computer or the screensaver turns on.

• rjennings2553
    rjennings2553
    Community Member

I use 1password on my iPad, my iPhone, and I am trying to setup it up on my PC with Win10. On my iPad I can setup a pin to open the 1password, I was told a day or so ago that I cannot have a pin on my iPhone 5s because it has a fingerprint touch. Now I am told that it is also not available on my PC. I am trying to setup all of this for my wife. This app was suppose to be one of the best and easiest to setup and use so why does every device work differently? This is a serious question not a complaint. I really like the iPad version so why does the iPhone app work differently. I spend most of my time clicking keys on my iPhone because I can't use a pin. I know that I can change the auto lock time but only 60 min, I spend hours on my ios devices going in and out of password protected websites. Should I invest in 1password that requires me to learn 3 different protocols?

• Hi @rjennings2553,

To use the PIN and/or fingerprint scanners, we must store your master password in clear view and it has to be secure to use.

Your iOS devices have a secure chip inside its CPU that can store your master password securely to let you unlock with just your fingerprint. We tell iOS that we want to use that chip when possible and we do that via the local authentication API. This API lets us switch to the PIN code when there is no fingerprint scanner included and when there is, use Touch ID. When it is in the PIN code, the PIN is used only when the app is in memory and will be reset more often.

On the computers, this is more difficult because everyone has a different setup that may not comply with the security we want to use like the TPM chips. We have some ideas that we're working on for the upcoming 1Password for Windows 10 store app that might let you use PIN code when the app is in memory only, like the iOS.

• rjennings2553
    rjennings2553
    Community Member

Thanks Mike, just getting a little frustrated trying to learn software for all devices.

• It is understandable, especially when you just want to use the same easy way of unlocking on all devices because trying to remember all the different ways could cause you to forget the specific PIN code for one device.

There are plans to make this easier as long as we find something that doesn't compromise on the security for the apps.

This discussion has been closed.