Windows 10 and Chrome Extension

I just upgraded to Windows 10, installed my browser of choice, Chrome, and installed the 1Password: Password Manager and Secure Wallet extension. I am a long time user of 1Password and have used it thousands of times in Chrome. The new extension user interface has some serious flaws. The extension I had previously is apparently not available on Windows 10 or the manager and secure wallet extension has replaced it. Prior to the Windows 10 upgrade or the installation of the new Chrome extension, I do not know which is causing my issue, after launching the 1Password extension within the Chrome browser I was presented with a short list of my logins with an A-Z rolodex on the side. A letter could be selected to narrow the login choices or one could begin typing in the search box, one could scroll with the mouse track roller through the list or select the login to open a new tab, launch the appropriate website login page and populate the fields. One could also select an icon at the right of the login that opened the login in a box that allowed editing, viewing of notes or manually copying the login or password. Now, a long list of logins appears with these small up and down arrows at the top and bottom that must be precisely clicked and then you wait until it scrolls through hundreds of potential logins until the right one is located and the only option is to select the login and launch the website. It appears that the only way to perform any of the other tasks is to open 1Password. What happen to the beautiful interface I was so comfortable with?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
Extension Version: 4.4.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @DEK48103,

To find your Login item quickly, click on the 1Password icon and start typing right away, 1Password will narrow down the list for you to click on. If you want HSBC, you can just type HSBC and it will find it for you right away. If you need to edit it, unfortunately at the moment, you do have to edit it in the main program. You can quickly open it in 1Password by right-clicking on the item to select Open in 1Password.

If you'd like, you can still install the pervious 1Password 3 extension in Chrome with the understanding that a future Chrome update might break it since we do not support it anymore.

What happened is that due to we ran into many limitations of trying to use 1Password as a mini app within the extension, we had to overhaul it and move the data/UI out of the extension. In 1Password 3.x extensions, it keeps a copy of your 1Password database and sync it with 1Password on your computer and since it has a copy of the data, we could build an internal interface to work with the data. This caused some folks to lose data when they forget to sync it with the main program if they deleted the extension before doing that sync but this was just one of the limitations we've found.

So, what we did is stop storing the database in the extension, so the sync is no longer needed as 1Password Helper (a native background process running in your system tray) will handle the data directly and push data on the fly to the extension securely. However, because there is no data in the extension, there's nothing for the interface to work with. We had to build a native UI with 1Password Helper from the ground up. We are aware there are a lot of limitations, we're planning to fix this but I don't have a timeframe on this. We do want to bring over inline editing, inline searching, and so much more to this native interface in 1Password Helper.

• DEK48103
    DEK48103
    Community Member

Thanks Mike T. Thanks for the explanation. I will move forward with the new 1Password Helper. I will adapt and look forward to the updates. BTW, 1Password is fabulous.

• Hi @DEK48103,

You're welcome. If there's something that's slowing you down, let us know, and we might have some tricks that can work.

I'm glad you're still liking 1Password despite this Helper UI, thank you.

This discussion has been closed.