How do I generate a password for an iTunes encrypted backup on my pc ?

I'm using iTunes version 12.3.1.23 (64-bit). I've been backing up my iPhone to the iCloud after buying extra storage. I'd rather save the money and create an encrypted backup in iTunes. I need to generate (and save) a password for my iTunes encrypted backup on my PC.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Create iTunes encrypted backup password on pc

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@winniethepooh: This is a bit of a hack, but the best way to do this would be to create a new Login item within the main 1Password app ("New" at the top of the window). Typically, you'll want to do this in the browser, but since you're not creating this for a website, it will be best to do this in the app. That way, you can use the Strong Password Generator there and save the password in your vault for safekeeping until you need it. I hope this helps! :)

• MikeT
    edited December 2015

One more thing, you can also create the Application Login for iTunes, so that you can use 1Password to fill the password in next time with the Control + \ shortcut.

• winniethepooh
    winniethepooh
    Community Member

I've never used 1password before and need step by step instructions. I've clicked on new item & the login window popped up that has the fields: title, username, password, URL, notes.

• Hi @winniethepooh,

You're halfway there already; enter the iTunes Backup Password or however you want it for the title, your AppleID for the username, and enter the password if you have one. If you don't, click on the Generate button to generate a new password and press Copy to copy the password to your clipboard.

You can also add some info in the note section to explain about where the iTunes backup is stored, which iOS device this back up is for, and so on.

Now, save the item by pressing OK and go to iTunes, paste the password into the password field twice, and you're all set.

This discussion has been closed.