1Password Helper and Ad-aware AntiVirus Free+ [No progress yet on a compatibility fix from Lavasoft]

elizabethjunemartin
elizabethjunemartin
Community Member
edited December 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I'm running Win10 64 bit with all the latest updates, and 32 bit Firefox. Whenever I install Ad-Aware Antivirus Free+ (just the antivirus part, not the web/internet part), the 1Password Firefox browser extension stops working, giving me an error message saying "Looking for the 1Password Helper, Thr 1Password helper must be running for the extension to work properly." I know this file is c:\program files(x86)\1Password4\Agile1pAgent.exe, and I see it listed as a process. Windows Firewall is always on, so that's not the problem. This problem does go away when I uninstall the Ad-Aware antivirus and enable Windows Defender; I just want more protection than Windows Defender is capable of. I tried entering this file into Ad-Aware under "incoming exceptions" and "outgoing exceptions," but it made no difference. Please help!!! I don't want to be forced to choose between a decent antivirus and 1Password. Thiis antivirus is the 1st one out of around 4 I've tried that doesn't break Win10's search and Cortana functions.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: Windows 10 64 bit
Sync Type: none yet
Referrer: kb:missing-extension-button

Comments

• Hi @elizabethjunemartin,

The problem stems from the third party component that Lavasoft is using for Ad-aware, we've informed them about this but so far, there hasn't been any progress. They do not want to block 1Password at all and in fact has been very helpful with us on this but they can't control that piece of code; they have to wait for that third party to fix it, before putting the fix in their product and then ship it to their customers in an update to Ad-Aware. The worst part is that you can't configure this yourself.

Unfortunately, we've informed them about this problem several months back as you can see in our thread here and you can see our latest update in this comment from AlexH. The thread was closed due to age.

I would recommend getting in touch with Lavasoft to ask if there were any progress on the issue with 1Password.

• elizabethjunemartin
    elizabethjunemartin
    Community Member
    edited December 2015

Would you know of a Windows 10 antivirus that doesn't break the Window taskbar search (Avast free does, Bit Defender free does), AND gets along well with 1Password (Ad-Aware AV Free breaks 1Pwd)? A free or paid solution would be acceptable. Right now I'm using Windows Defender (built into the OS) and badly want better protection. But I also really want to use 1Password and Windows search. For instance, what do the developers of 1Password use on their Windows 10 machines? Thanks in advance.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@elizabethjunemartin: While we certainly test a number of software with 1Password, many of my colleagues and I just use Windows Defender. Personally, I like it because it's free, comes with Windows, and doesn't seem to interfere with any of my other software.

Ultimately this is a very personal decision, but I think that it's important to recognize that no security software can protect you from zero-day exploits (by definition, these are newly discovered in the wild) or from yourself. Regardless of whether you use multiple software security measures, one, or none, the best thing you can do is only install software from known, trusted sources; and never accept something you haven't sought out yourself — always go directly to the source.

I also find that the propensity of many security products to constantly popup warnings (both to legitimately notify and to say "Hey, look at me! I'm doing something!") desensitized me and trained me to quickly click through to dismiss, ignoring them like banner ads. I've also had friends and family get into serious trouble because they believed that they really could not get infected because they had security software. Your mileage may vary.

I know I'm rather opinionated. I'd be interested to hear the thoughts and recommendations of others as well! :)

• Hi @elizabethjunemartin,

You said you want better protection badly, can you clarify what you mean by that?

Windows Defender is safe to use as long as you're practicing good security habits like Brenty mentioned with avoiding random download sites. Basically, avoid visiting any random sites, use content blockers to block third party scripts, and many more. Many folks like myself would use a virtual machine (VM) to visit random sites to prevent infecting the main machine and then reset the VM back to the original image after the session is done. This may not be something you want to do but it is an option and it avoids the need of having a heavy AV on the main machine.

Unfortunately, there is no one solution that will be the best solution for everyone, some wants extremely high accuracy but it comes at the cost of very high hardware consumption meaning the system will be down many times due to how long it takes to finish the job while using up all of the CPU, some wants the very lightest on hardware resources but not all of the features like a firewall and so on.

Even more unfortunate, all AVs except Windows Defender will have some kind of compromises that may break one feature on your PC, that's their nature when they have to be deeply integrated to scan everything.

We can't give you any specific recommendations because that is up to you and how you want the AV to behave. Brenty is correct though, strong security habits is the way to approach this, not just picking the best AV. There is not a single security program that will protect you completely, assume as if your AV will be breached eventually, what's the next line of defense you have?

I've pinged our AV expert, @AlexHoffmann, to bring in his thoughts because he's our main person who's been testing extensively 1Password with multiple AV solutions and working with the vendors to improve compatibility with 1Password.

• Thanks, @MikeT!

I really can't add much to the great advice that you already received from Mike and Brent.

There are a number of good options out there, some free, some paid for. Personally, I use the built-in Windows anti-malware software and an on-demand file scanner (like Malwarebytes AntiMalware) for bi-daily scans of my Windows PCs.
    I also use a content blocker (something like Ghostery, uBlock, etc.) in the web browser to prevent tracking as well as unnecessary and potentially unsafe scripts, and I don't use Adobe Flash in any browser.

Apart from that here are a few general recommendations I always give to friends and family that have kept me safe from malware for years:

• Be vigilant when surfing online,
    • Believe no banner ad or window online that tells me my PC is in danger or too slow,
    • Realise that no one will give you things for free that usually have a price tag,
    • Download software only from trusted sources or developers' websites,
    • Stay away from illegal downloads,
    • Disable the automatic retrieval of media in emails,
    • Don't trust links in emails simply because they come from a familiar address.

I hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.