How can I sync my keychain between a desktop PC, an iPhone and an iPad?

Options

Question #1: I am switching from a Mac desktop to a PC. After reading a number of posts, I'm still not sure how I can sync my keychain across all my devices. Will I be able to continue syncing via Dropbox as I do now?

Question #2: Will Dropbox be the most efficient way to sync across these platforms?

**Question #3: **Additionally, can I use my existing 1Password registration to load 1Password onto my PC?

**Background info for clarification: **I was successfully and happily using 1Password 5.3.1 on OS X Yosemite, along with the latest Extension until experiencing hard drive issues . Because of incompatibility issues with OS X El Capitan & Adobe Premiere Pro, I am forced to run OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard), requiring 1Password 3.8.22 and Extension 3.9.20 on Firefox ESR 38.4.0. I will only be running this system for another week until my PC arrives.

Thanks so much for any clarification you can give me.

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: 3.9.20
OS Version: OS X 10.6.8
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb-search:switching from mac to windows, kb:switch-from-mac-app-store, kb-search:windows version, kb:icloud-faq

Comments

• dhamilton
    dhamilton
    Community Member
    Options

If you are already syncing via Dropbox on your Mac, setting up the same on your PC will be easy. Follow the links below.

Here are your syncing options: https://support.1password.com/sync-options/
    Look into setting up Dropbox sync on Windows: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/setting-up-dropbox-sync

Here is how you get setup on iOS: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios/5/en/topic/sync-with-dropbox

I use Dropbox to sync via my iPhone, Mac and PC and yes I do believe it is the most efficient way to do this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2015
    Options

@JustM: dhamilton is right on, but I also wanted to address your licensing question:

1. Yes!
    2. Yes!
    3. No. 1Password for Windows is a separate purchase. However, you can use your existing 1Password license to get upgrade pricing on a Windows license.

Thanks for the additional information. That does sound like a bit of a hassle, but it also sounds like you have a solid plan! If you've already got your 1Password vault in Dropbox, all you'll need to do with the new PC is the following:

1. Install Dropbox
    2. Let your data sync
    3. Install 1Password
    4. Open 1Password, and it should automatically detect your vault in Dropbox. Otherwise you can open it from "I have used 1Password before".

I also wanted to mention one concern since it sounds like you've gone from 1Password 5 back to version 3. If you're using the same vault, be sure to use 1Password 3 as a 'reader' (i.e. don't make edits there). It doesn't understand the newer data from 1Password 4 and later, and it could cause some headaches for you if you edit there after using 1Password 5 for so long — especially if you go back to a newer version again afterward.

I hope this helps. I hope you enjoy your new PC! Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• JustM
    JustM
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Thanks for the great feedback and advice dhamilton and brenty-santa! I really, really appreciate having confirmation on exactly what I need to do. I have only been editing 1Password entries from my iPhone (I think...I hope!) so I'm anticipating a smooth transition. Merry Christmas to you all! And THANK YOU for such awesome and sanity-saving software! You guys are THE BEST!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad that helped. And no worries: we're here if you need anything else. Thanks so much for your kind words and support. I hope yours is a Merry Christmas too! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.