1password is acting like I've never used it before. apparently there was an update?

why can't it just find the vault it was using before the update? I didn't move anything. it should be syncing to dropbox like it used to but now it doesn't recognize a vault in any folder.

1Password Version: I dont know bc I can't open 1Password
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 7
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1password lost the vault after an automatic upgrade. again.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@asdasd: To be clear, updating the 1Password app doesn't change anything else on your computer: only 1Password's application support files, not your vault(s). And you'll also know if you update 1Password, as you'll be prompted to install an update. We don't do this automatically without your knowledge or consent. Unfortunately it's impossible to say for certain what's happened on your machine, but there are a few things you can check to try to find your data.

The first place I would check is 1Password itself. In the File menu go to Reopen 1Password Vault. This will give you a list of locations where you have opened vaults previously. Make a note of these paths, as that will give you a starting point to look later.

Next, I would simply try to open the recent vaults listed there. You may find one that works.

If not, you can start checking the paths you noted earlier as a starting point, or use Windows search (which is, admittedly, not so great, but it's something) try to find 1Password, .agilekeychain, .opvault, or the filename of your actual vault (if it's different than the default). Or simply restore from a backup in 1Password itself.

Check to make sure that Dropbox is setup and working properly. If you know the location of your vault in Dropbox, and it isn't there anymore on your computer, check the Dropbox website, since you can restore deleted files there if necessary.

As for what happened, you'll be able to guess better than I can. Personally, I've experienced this issue when some of my drive mappings changed. For example, 1Password was previously working with X:\1Password.agilekeychain but the drive is now mapped to Y:\, so 1Password can't find that vault any longer. Another possibility is that you or some other software process has moved or deleted the vault accidentally. But 1Password won't even delete your vault for you if you ask nicely, so it won't have anything do do with 1Password itself.

I hope this helps. Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• asdasd
    asdasd
    Community Member

ok through no fault of 1password, my external drive where the vault was stored was offline. my fault for not checking there. thanks for the nudge in that direction.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Oh, that's a relief! No worries. It's always nice when it's just something simple, and of course it's the little things that are easily overlooked. Thanks so much for the update. We're here if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.