1Password Anywhere Extra Characters

When I am copy and pasting passwords from IE11 via 1Password Anywhere synced from Dropbox, it picks up two extra return characters. Thus when I paste it, it either pastes the two extra characters or pastes the blanks. I have to paste the passwords (in plain text) to a text editor, remove the spaces / return characters and then re-copy and paste the password. Any reason for this? Is it IE? Is it my passwords? Is it 1Password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7, IE11
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @cwanja,

Have you tried a different web browser to see if it is producible there?

I tried 1PasswordAnywhere in Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7, selecting the password to copy it would let me paste into NotePad with no extra character at the end.

We've seen this before when a different browser would encode it differently. If you still see it in a different browser, try this:

1. Open the main 1Password program on your other PC and go to the File Menu > Repair 1Password Vault
    2. Wait for Dropbox to finish its sync and try again in Interent Explorer to see if it works better now.
  • cwanja
    cwanja
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT

I have verified it does this behavior in both IE11 (where 1Password Anywhere is being accessed) and Google Chrome. In IE, it just pastes blank. In Chrome, it pastes the extra characters as characters in the password and I have to go to the front of the pasted characters and delete the first two characters. Do note, that these characters are not at the end, but rather they are at the beginning. Apologize for not making that clear earlier.

Where is the repair feature on Mac?

• This feature doesn't exist on the Mac.

Are you using 1Password for Windows on this machine? If not, it might help recreating the 1Password.agilekeychain on your Mac, by deactivating the Dropbox sync, deleting the existing data and starting the sync again.
    This, of course, might cause a bit of work, if you're syncing other devices as well.

• cwanja
    cwanja
    Community Member

Not accessing 1Password (the app) via Windows, just 1Password Anywhere. The setup is as follows:
    1Password and its origin, the vault, resides on the Mac and is synced to the "cloud" via Dropbox. I then access it through the Dropbox website to get to 1Password Anywhere via IE11 on my work laptop. I believe I was previously advised to recreate the agilekeychain when troubleshooting the thread here. That did not resolve the issue in that thread, and nor did it cause this issue. However, I can do that again later today back on my laptop at home. This issue has been around since I started using 1Password Anywhere. Do note, that you can see an alignment issue with the password character dots and the word "password".

• Hi @cwanja,

The setup is as follows: 1Password and its origin, the vault, resides on the Mac and is synced to the "cloud" via Dropbox. I then access it through the Dropbox website to get to 1Password Anywhere via IE11 on my work laptop.

That's what I did, it didn't reproduce the problem. Just to be clear, are you selecting the entire password, right-clicking to select Copy or what steps are you taking to copy the password?

Also, can you tell me the timestamp on your 1Password.html file on Dropbox, it should tell you the last modified date.

Do note, that you can see an alignment issue with the password character dots and the word "password".

Yes, that is a known side effect, it's due to the age of 1PasswordAnywhere not catching up to the modern design as we've last updated it many years ago. We're also phasing out 1PasswordAnywhere support in the near future.

• cwanja
    cwanja
    Community Member

@MikeT

More times then now, I click on "reveal" and then double click to select the entire password. There might be times (due to special characters) that I would need to triple click. Then I press ctrl+C to copy. I rarely use the context menu to copy it.

Timestamp is 10/15/2015

Finally, if 1PasswordAnywhere is to go, what is to replace it? Obviously understanding the possibility that is a forward asking question about an unannounced product.

• Hi @cwanja,

Try to select the characters with your cursor, don't click to select. Start from the last character to the first character and then copy it either with your keyboard or your mouse. See if this works better. I do know that double-click won't work when there is a special symbol in the way, it will fail more often.

Finally, if 1PasswordAnywhere is to go, what is to replace it? Obviously understanding the possibility that is a forward asking question about an unannounced product.

Yea, we do want to replace it but as you already know, we do not release future details. It is possible what will replace it will be identical to what we're already working on for our upcoming 1Password for Teams service. That service will have the ability to edit items as well, so it would be interesting to see what we can do in the future for the non-team related version.

This discussion has been closed.