Why do I have to enter the vault password when switching between multiple vaults?

I'm just starting to learn more about multiple vaults, as I'm looking to set one up for my spouse. In reading your documentation, it appears that I should be able to have multiple vaults and only have to unlock my primary vault to grant access to all vaults. However, what I'm seeing is that I'm able to create a new vault with it's own master password, but when I unlock my primary and decide to switch to another vault, I'm still forced to enter that other vault's master password. This contradicts with your documentation (below):

Unlocking your primary vault will grant access to all vaults, but anyone you share the vault with will need to know the vault's Master Password to access it.

Did I not set something up correctly? Is the documentation not accurate?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Rob

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Unlocking your primary vault will grant access to all vaults, but anyone you share the vault with will need to know the vault's Master Password to access it.

Comments

• Hi @rvandersteen,

Without knowing which doc you looked at but it is possible you were looking at specific docs for the Mac and iOS, not for Windows nor Android. If not, let me know and we'll let the docs team know to fix it.

Right now, 1Password for Windows requires you to unlock each vault individually, it cannot switch to other vaults you have without the vault password for it. On Mac and iOS, we switched to a database model where it imports everything from each vault into a single database, which allows it to unlock everything with just your primary vault password. On Windows, we read and write your vaults directly on disk, there is no internal database and since we cannot put your vault passwords in memory to unlock the rest of the vaults, we can't switch without you unlocking it first.

That is not to say we won't support this in the future, it is something we plan to improve for Windows. For now, what you're seeing is the correct behavior.

• rvandersteen
    rvandersteen
    Community Member

MikeT,

Thanks for the great explanation. I was looking at the Mac guide, so no need to update any documentation. I wasn't aware the programs were architecturally different from on a mac/pc. I hope that you will support the internal DB model for windows in the future. It sounds quite slick :).

Thanks,
    Rob

• MikeT
    edited December 2015

Hi @rvandersteen,

I wasn't aware the programs were architecturally different from on a mac/pc.

We do not believe in ports, we actually have individual development teams for each platform (Android, iOS, Mac, Windows) working on a native codebase. Many of the code cannot be shared easily but we do what we can to match the features ASAP. The Mac and iOS are the only two apps that does have a lot of shared code but they're also ahead of the rest of the platforms since we as a company started out from Mac many years ago.

The upcoming 1Password for Windows 10 store app is shared as a universal Windows 10 app between Windows 10 desktops and Windows 10 mobile. If you're using Windows 10, you can also try out the beta of the latest 1Password for Windows 10 store app in Microsoft's store, which already has an internal database. Even more, if your device has biometric support for Windows Hello, the app will use it while it is still running in memory.

This discussion has been closed.