Unsaved Changes on Screen Lock : Feature Request - SmartCards

my2eggs
my2eggs
Community Member
edited December 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I use the Secure Notes to store info about the many smart cards I must use. I had just provisioned several new smart cards and stored the data in a Secure Note, had to step away for a bit so I locked the screen. When I came back the open Secure Notes edit window was gone and so was all the changes. Unfortunately there is no way to recover from this. No "reset your pin" forms and no way to wipe a smart card or start over. Those smart cards now go in the trash. :(

As a side note, it would be nice if 1Password had "SmartCard" as a built-in item. For those who use multiple smart cards with different levels of access and certificates installed it can be a pain to manage all the cards and their associated certs. Here is an example of the info I am currently storing for SmartCards in the Secure Notes section:

[Card Name]:

• Card No. : [Physical Cards Only]
  • Serial No. : [SmartCard Serial No.]
  • Admin Key : [Admin Key] or RANDOM
  • PIN Unlock Key : [PUK] or NOT SET
  • PIN : [PIN]
  • Location : [Location where card is stored] or [Computer name TPM belongs to]

For the certificates on the card I store the following:

Subject : [Subject of Cert - Typically a username]
Friendly Name : [Friendly Name of Cert]
Smart Card : [Smart Card Name from above]
Thumbprint : ‎[Thumbprint of Cert]
Serial No : ‎[Serial No. of Cert]
Validity : Valid from [Start Date] thru [Expiration Date]

Comments

• Hi @my2eggs,

I've fixed your post to include the changes you've made and deleted the duplicate post.

At the moment, 1Password doesn't have the capability to store edited content securely, so we revert to the previously saved version that's already encrypted. We recommend that you save the data before you leave your computer.

1Password has support for custom fields and sections you can use and you can store a blank template to duplicate from. We do plan to support custom categories in the future but I don't have a timeframe on this, I'll definitely add your vote to our list on this.

For now, here's what you can do:

1. Create a new Login item, give it a title of Smart Card Template and save it.
    2. Edit that Smart Card Template and click on Add on the bottom to a new section called Smart Card Info or however you want to call it.
    3. Now, under this section, click on Add to start creating your custom fields such as using Password type for the PIN field like so:

Save it without entering any values and then to start filling it, right-click on this template item to duplicate it.

• my2eggs
    my2eggs
    Community Member
    edited December 2015

MikeT,

Thank you for your response. When I locked my computer and lost my changes I was pulled away urgently and did not think about the unsaved changes at the time. We fallible humans make mistakes sometimes. It is obvious the mistake is mine but sometimes it is nice when our computers can correct our mistakes before we make them. ;) You would think you would be able to simply save the changes to a temporary location. An encrypted clipboard of sorts for any unsaved objects. I'm sure it is not as simple as I make it sound of course, just would be a nice feature for a program that works with randomized data a lot.

I took your suggestion to build a new SmartCard template. I have attached a screenshot of it below for anyone wanting to do the same.

I used a Bank Account object since I don't need some of the non-removable elements in the Login objects and it is a bit cleaner looking. I also like using a shorter field for PIN and PIN Unlock Key, because PINs are typically short and you can only get smaller fields by using an preexisting object that had one already (as far as I know). That said, you will notice that my Admin Key, PIN and PIN Unlock Keys will all be immediately visible from the 1Password main screen when viewing the object. If this is a concern for you then you should remove the fields and replace them with a password field. For me this is really more about certificate management on the 15 or so SmartCards I use (3 virtual SmartCards for every computer). So it isn't necessary for me to hide that info from plain view as I will only ever be looking at it when I am destroying/creating SmartCards.

You'll also notice that there is only room for one certificate in the template. For me this is fine as I only use one certificate per SmartCard. However, if you need additional certificates on the SmartCard then just add a new section ("Certificate 02") and copy the fields above it.

I also went out a got a nice icon for SmartCards and attached it to the template so that I can easily distinguish between SmartCards and actual Bank Account objects in 1Password.

Thanks again for the suggestion MikeT and hope this helps to anyone else who might need it.

• MikeT
    edited December 2015

Hi @my2eggs,

You would think you would be able to simply save the changes to a temporary location. An encrypted clipboard of sorts for any unsaved objects. I'm sure it is not as simple as I make it sound of course, just would be a nice feature for a program that works with randomized data a lot.

We are already doing this on the OS X platform, there's a secure way of doing this. Right now, it is not something that's feasible on Windows but it is something we'd like to overhaul first on OS X before we add it to Windows and other platforms.

Thanks again for the suggestion MikeT and hope this helps to anyone else who might need it.

You're welcome. You can in fact share the template with users by sharing the item (share icon > copy to clipboard in the details view) rather than the screenshot but we would suggest not doing this here for now as we'd like to expand on this in the future.

This discussion has been closed.