Lock icon in taskbar not changing from locked to unlocked reliably

Options

As the subject says - this has never quite worked right in Windows (I was using Windows 8.1 before and now Windows 10 latest release). Minor detail but somewhat annoying. The lock icon shown in the notification bar doesn't change from locked to unlocked when the 1Password is unlocked and left unlocked for a period of time - that is, it doesn't do it all the time. It used to do it sporadically but now I don't remember seeing it unlocked since I installed Windows 10. I don't use the browser plugins at all, just the application itself.

Using latest (non-beta) 1Password and Windows 10 Pro Build 1511, but this hasn't worked consistently in Windows since I've been using 1Password (a few years now I think).

The right click menu on the icon also still has "Unlock" as an option when the app is already unlocked.

Comments

• MikeT
    edited December 2015
    Options

Hi @zarvus,

Just to explain how this works, the icon status you're seeing in the system tray is not related to the main 1Password program, it is a completely separate process used to communicate with your browser extensions, we call this 1Password Helper. Even if you don't use browser extensions, 1Password Helper is still running if you have 1Password minimized to system tray.

Both the 1Password program and 1Password Helper can be unlocked separately or locked separately depending on how you unlock it the first time. For an example, if both 1Password Helper and 1Password was running at the same time, unlocking one or the other would unlock both. If you unlock 1Password Helper first without the main 1Password program, it will only be unlocked for 1Password Helper while the main program would be locked.

If you're not using the browser extensions, there's no need to have 1Password Helper in the notification tray area.

• zarvus
    zarvus
    Community Member
    Options

The option in 1Password is "Show 1Password icon in the notification area" - there's nothing related to the browser extensions and the notification icon I can find. If I disable that option, 1Password simply disappears when the window is minimized.

1Password Helper may be a separate application I don't need to run but I don't see how to disable it or how to use 1Password like a normal application otherwise, i.e. where it's opened and is treated as a standalone app and minimizes to the taskbar like a regular application.

I like having it in the notification area, though, since it's something you want to keep running usually, even if it's not always unlocked.

• Hi @zarvus,

It should be minimizing to your task bar, I just tested this and it did minimize to the taskbar for me. If you click on 'X', that will close the app, not minimize it. Are you clicking on the '-' icon or how are you trying to minimize 1Password?

This discussion has been closed.