How to start over from the cloud to avoid merging stale data

Options

Comments

• Iwouldrathernot
    Iwouldrathernot
    Community Member
    Options

I have a situation that has many of these elements, that I am in need of advice on.
    If there is a procedure FAQ for this please point me there.

Old iPhone, last synced up 2 years ago, with some discordance with current 1PWon iPad/desktop, backed to cloud.
    Can I avoid having the old obsolete passwords overwriting and contaminating the 1PW desk/cloud
    with sync? The old iphone list can go.
    Available resources are not clear to me.
    Can I just delete the old iPhone 1PW and reinstall and sync with cloud?
    Would that be the best approach ?

If I go into the current iPhone 1PW and delete the passwords manually would they erase the PW in the cloud DB on sync?

I don't have a clear understanding of how the sync merges and updates, and handle my own stuff better.
    Friend has big problem with multiple password folders and accounts for same sites, many out of date.

The logging features and saved deletion/change history of 1PW have been a godsend for the manual maintenance.

Big thanks on great program. Again the changes log is a life saver.

• Hi @Iwouldrathernot,

I've split your post from the other thread, so we can help you directly.

You have a complete up to date database on your desktop and you just want to reset the data on the iPhone to match this database on the PC, right?

What you can do for back up first on both PC and iPhone and then proceed with resetting the data in the iPhone app. Here's how:

1. On your PC, open 1Password, go to the Backup Menu > Back up 1Password vault
    2. Back up the data on the iPhone with iTunes with this guide
    3. Reset the data by opening 1Password on the iPhone and going to Settings > Advanced > Erase Data. This will remove the local database without affecting the cloud copy.
    4. Now, open 1Password on the iPhone and sync with your data on the PC.

I hope that helps.

• Iwouldrathernot
    Iwouldrathernot
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Thanks, you got my situation.
    Having a crashed or erased DB is an event to avoid, and confirming
    the process was reassuring

appreciate the help

Again , the changes record has been a robust tool for maintaining the program
    as duplicate logins happen, and keeping old data from causing confusion is a challenge it helps contain.

Great program.
    Often recommended to others

• Hi @Iwouldrathernot,

I'm glad it helped and you're welcome! Thanks for recommending us to others.

Again , the changes record has been a robust tool for maintaining the program as duplicate logins happen, and keeping old data from causing confusion is a challenge it helps contain.

It is difficult and I'm glad we're able to help with this in a small way. In fact, we actually have a cool idea that we're trying out and if it works, it will be even better than anything we have now.

This discussion has been closed.