When i install the 1password, Its publisher is unknown. Why it seems not certified by windows ?

Options

Whenever any app. is installed it is certified by windows. But during installation of 1password,It says, Publisher : Unknown, During first installation. Is it safe to install?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 10 home
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:unknown publisher

Comments

• Hi @cp1111,

It is supposed to be signed by AgileBits as shown here:

As long as you're downloading directly from our site here: http://agilebits.com/downloads, it should be relatively safe to install. If you downloaded it elsewhere, then no, it is not safe at all. Try to download a new copy from that page and see if it will show to be signed by AgileBits.

This is dependent on your current CA's list and if you're using a bad CA that was installed by an anti-malware solution, you may see this.

Can you tell us what security programs you might have installed?

• cp1111
    cp1111
    Community Member
    Options

Still when i download setup from your given link it pops up as "verified publisher: Unknown"
    However when i right click the given setup to check its properties, i can see the agilebits digital signature as valid and signed.

Note: My security SW are AVG int. sec., Malwarebytes Premium,.

• cp1111
    cp1111
    Community Member
    Options

I got it !!
    I disabled my antimalware solution. Then right clicking the setup of 1password, then selecting digital signature option, and import certificate.
    Now, when i install thy app. it gets install as; Verified Publisher: Agilebits inc.

Unfortunately, I dont know why i have to disable such security SW to get all proper ?!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, excellent! Thanks for the update. I was a bit confused since your screenshot showed it was signed by AgileBits. I'm glad to hear that all is well.

It seems like an odd measure for it to make it more difficult to verify the publisher of an app. Ultimately, you'll need to contact them for information on what they're doing and why, but I'm definitely curious myself.

Anyway, it sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.