Little UI Tweaks....

Options

Can I suggest a few UI/UX tweaks that would make using the product more pleasing on Windows?

1. When moving from one category to another - say, from Favourites to Logins - the search box should clear. I often find myself in Logins, I use search, then I click to Favourites, and see nothing...until I clear the search box. I wouldn't say that a fixed search filter is a good UX.
  2. Can you give the Secure Notes section a little UI love? The box for attachments is so short, you can't even see the file name.
  3. It would be wonderful it files in the Secure Notes section could be opened with a double click vs. the Save As dialog box - that really slows access down.
  4. Could the file size limit on Secure Note attachments be raised a bit? Maybe 10 MB? The current limit is pretty small - I understand why you have it, but the limit is pretty low.
  5. In an era of high-res screens (I'm using a 1080p 13.3" display laptop) the overall UI of the program is pretty small. The icons for Add Attachment/Favourite/etc. are positively minuscule.

Love the app, use it daily across iOS, OS X, and Windows - but the Windows version is clearly the red-headed stepchild of the bunch. ;)

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @jasondunn,

Can I suggest a few UI/UX tweaks that would make using the product more pleasing on Windows?

Absolutely! Also, if you're using Windows 10, check out the beta version of the 1Password for Windows 10 app in the Windows Store.

When moving from one category to another - say, from Favourites to Logins - the search box should clear. I often find myself in Logins, I use search, then I click to Favourites, and see nothing...until I clear the search box. I wouldn't say that a fixed search filter is a good UX.

At the moment, this is intentional. The idea is that you might not find what you want in the current category you're in and as you switch between categories, the filter is still working. We did add a blinking indicator to let you know the search filter is in place. You can press Control + F to enter the search field to clear it.

However, we do want to change this in the future to make it more intuitive.

Can you give the Secure Notes section a little UI love? The box for attachments is so short, you can't even see the file name.

I'm not sure I understand, are you saying the attachment area for the Secure Note items is too small? It should be the same as all categories.

You can right-click in the attachment area to change the view if you'd like to make it smaller or bigger.

It would be wonderful it files in the Secure Notes section could be opened with a double click vs. the Save As dialog box - that really slows access down.

This is intentional because there's a difference between previewing files and exporting it, it has to do with making sure we don't leave behind a decrypted copy of your files.

If you want to edit your files, you must save it as a decrypted copy on your drive. If you just want to view it and not edit it, you can right-click on the file to open it but this will only work if your Windows version supports using EFS. If it does, then we'll create a folder on your drive and tell Windows to encrypt it with your Windows account. We'll remove it securely once you close 1Password.

We might come up with a better way to show the difference between previewing files and saving files in the future to make this more intuitive.

Could the file size limit on Secure Note attachments be raised a bit? Maybe 10 MB? The current limit is pretty small - I understand why you have it, but the limit is pretty low.

We're not going to change this at the moment until we overhaul how attachments are handled. Right now, even a small change like this would require all programs to be updated at the same time in order to handle this properly or they could break. So, at the moment, this won't change any time soon.

In an era of high-res screens (I'm using a 1080p 13.3" display laptop) the overall UI of the program is pretty small. The icons for Add Attachment/Favourite/etc. are positively minuscule.

A Hi-DPI version of 1Password is in the planning but for now, you can tell Windows to disable the scaling on 1Password to make it more usable. Here's how; https://support.1password.com/win-high-dpi/

The next stable update will improve the font size a bit in many of the areas.

This discussion has been closed.