Tried to upgrade, got access violation and could not start from sys tray

When doing the upgrade, as soon as 1password started, I saw continuous access violation messages about address 77EA8C46 in module ntdll.dll. Read of address 6C647476. I was also getting numerous errors that files in the install directory could not be renamed. Error messages are attached. I also tried uninstalling previous version and installing new version and saw similar problems. What can I do to get this to work again?

Comments

• atygert
    atygert
    Community Member

Looks like only one error message came through. The second one is attached here.

• Hi @atygert,

These are typically system errors, not directly related to 1Password. Have you done a complete reboot of your system to see if it will fix it? Also, check if you have free space left on your drive where 1Password is installed.

• atygert
    atygert
    Community Member

I just tried again, installing 4.6.0.592. It seems that is not actually the release causing problems. I was able to complete the install and then it checked for an upgrade and tried to install the latest version, 4.6.0.598(?) That's where I'm seeing the error above and the previous posted error about not being able to create a file that already exists. I have set the permissions on the 1 Password install folder so trusted installers have full access

• atygert
    atygert
    Community Member

I was just able to d/l and install 4.6.0.598 after first uninstalling previous build.

• MikeT
    edited December 2015

Hi @atygert,

What AV do you have installed? Can you check its logs to see if it tried to block the installer from completing?

• atygert
    atygert
    Community Member

Sophos. Did not see any mention of blocking anything in those logs.

• Hi @atygert,

We've seen Sophos blocking us in the past but not for an upgrade. For now, is everything working just fine after you got it to install?

• atygert
    atygert
    Community Member

Seems to be.

• Thanks for the details, we'll see if we can reproduce this in our testings. /cc @AlexHoffmann

• I've been going through the major version of Sophos's security software over the last two days on two test systems and wasn't able to reproduce the error you described.

Let's assume that this was some kind of system glitch for now. If you encounter this again, please let us know about it.

This discussion has been closed.