FireFox extension 'Looking for 1Password helper'

DoctorBrown
DoctorBrown
Community Member
edited January 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I was editing and creating new login items. I had just completed the edit and tried the login which was successful in logging in. I then closed the browser. When I tried the login again, a new tab appears with the message 'Looking for the 1Passwoed helper'. Then a windows pops up with the title: Launch Application, with the selections: 1Password; Choose an Application. Then in the browser windows, the message: Either the helper is not running, or something is preventing it from communicating with the 1Passwoed browser extension.' I have found that I can get 1Password to work again if I kill and restart the process: c:\Program Files (x86)\1Password 4\Agile1pAgent.exe

The login was a multi URL Application login to my Netgear NAS. This NAS displays a HTTP Authentication window. The first URL navigates to the web page, then the second fills in the HTTP Auth window when I hit Ctl-\.

This is the second time over the last few day that this has occurred. I have captured screenshots.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.598
Extension Version: 4.5.1
OS Version: Windows 7 SP1 x64
Sync Type: WiFi
Referrer: forum-search:firefox extension unresponsive

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DoctorBrown: I can't say I've seen this happen myself. Do you perhaps have security settings that might be interfering with the Helper? Is there any pattern to when this happens that you can discern? If it happens again, the best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can quickly track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

Some context for anyone else reading: as I mentioned in the other thread, the 1Password Helper process handles filling for Auto-Type and the browser extensions, so neither will work if it isn't running properly.

• DoctorBrown
    DoctorBrown
    Community Member

I thought I'd let you know that this issue hasn't re-occurred for awhile. So I don't have any new information to send.

I'm at the point in my migration to 1Password that I'm not creating as many new items (and making mistakes) as I was. I don't think my security settings are involved because the issue has happened and gone away without me changing any security settings.

The only point I would add is that I think it tends to occur when I'm invoking an HTTP Auth login and the login doesn't complete for some reason. Like the URL is not matched, so 1P doesn't send the fields. Or the login fails for some other reason that is not apparent.

I'll keep and eye out and report if it happens again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The only point I would add is that I think it tends to occur when I'm invoking an HTTP Auth login and the login doesn't complete for some reason. Like the URL is not matched, so 1P doesn't send the fields. Or the login fails for some other reason that is not apparent.

Ahh, thanks for clarifying. We'll look into this more closely too. Be sure to let us know if you continue having trouble!

This discussion has been closed.