Can't sign in to 1Password

Options

My Macbook Pro crashed so I've had to use another Mac. It automatically downloaded the 1Password icon where I normally login, however it won't let me login and just sits counting down the time. Please can you help?

1Password Version: 3.9.21.90
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.6.8
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @LeePLee,

If you're seeing a counter that would be the 1Password Browser Extension and I'm suspecting you might by a Google Chrome user as that browser does allow you to sign into a Google account and it will synchronise bookmarks and extensions (amongst other bits of information) by default.

Now the 1Password Browser Extension needs 1Password 3 for Mac. What the counter is basically reporting is that some indicator of the time that has passed since it tried to locate the 1Password Helper.

There are two possibilities. I've noticed that after installing the 1Password Chrome Extension that I had to reboot my Mac for the extension to connect to a existing copy of 1Password 3 for Mac. I have no idea but this always cured whatever oddity was happening.

The other possibility is there isn't a copy of 1Password 3 for Mac on this Mac and that you only have the extension at the moment. If you need to download 1Password 3 for Mac you can do so from the Legacy section of our AgileBits Download page.

To access your Agile Keychain though you will have needed to have moved it to Dropbox prior to the MacBook Pro crashing otherwise your vault was only being stored locally. Is this something you did? If it is then your Agile Keychain should still be in Dropbox and you should be able to get everything working again.

If you need help with any part of this please just let us know. The key part is to have a copy of 1Password 3 for Mac installed and pointing at your Agile Keychain though. At this point you can breathe a little safe in the knowledge that you can access your vault and the rest is about the finer details.

• LeePLee
    LeePLee
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Thank you for the useful info. I've download the 1Password version for Lion on my old Mac. However I didn't copy Agile Keychain to Dropbox before the crash on my other Mac. I am hoping the hard drive of the broken Mac can be accessed and therefore I can access the keychain. It might also be on my idrive backup - where would I find it within the system files please?

I'll report back if I get stuck.

Please cross your fingers for me!

Thanks

Lee

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @LeePLee,

So 1Password 3 by default would store your Agile Keychain in the following location.

~/Library/Application Support/1Password/ and the file bundle is called 1Password.agilekeychain

If you haven't seen it before, the ~ is something OS X understand and it translates to the user's home directory. So say my OS X user account is called LittleBobbyTables. OS X will translate ~ to /Users/LittleBobbyTables/ and then add anything else to the front so

~/Library/Application Support/1Password/

turns into

/Users/LittleBobbyTables/Library/Application Support/1Password/

I mention this as if you're navigating a backup drive you'll need to know to look for a Users folder first.

I hope you can find your Agile Keychain and that it isn't lost!

(fingers definitely crossed)

• LeePLee
    LeePLee
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, I shall give it a go, everything still crossed!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @LeePLee,

Keep us informed and if we can be of assistance we will :smile:

• LeePLee
    LeePLee
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Littleboobytables,

At last I've hooked up to my dead mac, which still has a living hard drive. However I can't find any of the files you mentioned. Only 1password.crx and 1password.xpi. I've searched the drive for agilebits and 1password as well.

The odd thing is I can't even remember paying for 1password. Were you doing it for free initially? Would this affect the files stored? I think not, but had to ask!

Still crossing fingers!

Lee

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Lee ( @LeePLee ),

To the best of my memory, 1Password has never been free, although we do have a free 30 day trial, after which certain limitations are imposed (but you can still access your data in read-only format). I took a quick look in our back office records, but I was unable to find any license information attached to the email address that you have in your forum profile. This doesn't necessarily mean you don't have a license, it just means we might need to search a bit more to locate it.

In any case, whether or not you have a license would not affect where the files are stored. I think the best way to get this sorted out is to take a closer look at your system.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac. Please make sure that living hard drive is hooked up when you run through these steps:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac-3.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• LeePLee
    LeePLee
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

Thank you a report is on is way to you. Not sure if it picked up the computer I am trying to get data from (its currently connected and running as a hard drive only via the firewire cable).

My email will always be my name or just Lee.

Thank you for helping.

Lee

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @LeePLee,

We've received your email with the diagnostics report; thanks for sending that in. Someone from our support team will look that over and be contacting you directly through email with more details to help get 1Password working again.

ref: VZV-51531-745

• LeePLee
    LeePLee
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I look forward to your reply.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, Lee. It's actually Kyle's reply, who I see has been helping you through email today. :)

This discussion has been closed.