Can't wifi sync between iPhone and Windows over hotspot?

I am having a problem.

I want to be able to sync my 1Password vault between my Mac at home, iPhone and Windows PC at work. Firewall and security restrictions at work prevent me from using a cloud based solution (like Dropbox) so I was happy to hear about the possibility of syncing over secured wifi connection. I am unable to connect my personal iPhone to the wifi network at work, so I am enabling a wifi hotspot on my iPhone and connecting my Windows laptop to it. This enables me to be on the same wifi network. I've installed bonjour and get the secret code dialog on 1Password for windows. When I go to my phone and try the wifi sync, however, I'm stuck on the "Sync using Wif-Fi" screen with the "One moment please..." message.

I'm not sure what the problem is. Could it be because I'm using a mobile hotspot? Can somebody please help??

Thanks!

1Password Version: Windows: 4.6.0.598, iOS: 6.1.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7 64-bit
Sync Type: Wifi
Referrer: ug:mac/new-computer-wi-fi, ug:mac/new-computer-elsewhere, ug:mac/new-computer-icloud, kb:configure-windows-firewall-proxy, kb-search:wifi sync over hotspot

Comments

• Hi @Rickardo77,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. Sorry to hear WiFi syncing is not working as expected. The hostspot connection could indeed be the problem. Could you please try using an Ad Hoc network to sync the two devices? Instructions can be found here:

(Windows) How to create an ad-hoc wireless network

Please let me know if that works.

Ben

• Rickardo77
    Rickardo77
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

Thank you for the quick response and great suggestion. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it will work for me. When I try to follow the steps in the link you provided, I get a message saying "Your system administrator does not allow you to create ad hoc (computer-to-computer) networks. For more information, contact your system administrator." I believe this is a security restriction on my work laptop, so I don't think I have a way around it. The only way I can get my laptop and phone to connect is via the mobile hotspot on my phone. Is that not compatible with WiFi syncing?

Thanks,

-Ricardo

• MikeT
    edited January 2016

Hi @Richardo,

That's too bad, it would've worked if they allow such networks.

The only way I can get my laptop and phone to connect is via the mobile hotspot on my phone. Is that not compatible with WiFi syncing?

The Wi-Fi sync in 1Password depends on Bonjour to tell 1Password where to connect without the need for you to know the IP address and port. The question is, does iOS send the bonjour data over the HotSpot Wi-Fi network, that's something I do not know for sure as I can't get HotSpot on my plan. The concern is that Hotspot might be filtering out the Bonjour traffic intentionally and only carrying the Internet traffic.

If it is being filtered, then that'd explain why you'd never see the list of computers to show up and it is stuck at trying to hear replies from the network.

Am I correct that you have no issues doing this at home between your PC and iOS device? If yes, than it should've work at work too.

This discussion has been closed.