onepassword:// url registration not working and single items shared from iOS won't import on windows

Windows 7 and 10: 1password does not appear to be registered to handle onepassword:// urls and there is no preference I can see to turn this on/off so presumably this is a bug?

Items shared from iOS (ether by email with the 'click to save in onepassword' button, or by some 3rd party app) will not import on 1password for windows. If you click the link in the email, onepassword opens, but nothing happens. If you cut and paste the onepassword:// url string from the 3rd party app, or right click copy link in the email, or whatever, onepassword does nothing when you use edit->paste

If you share a link from 1password windows via email, the recipient is able to copy the onepassword:// url and use edit->paste to import.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.598
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Hatclub,

There is a bug in the OS X and iOS versions of 1Password where it isn't encoding the URL correctly and the Windows program can't process it because it is invalid. We've fixed it in the latest betas for both and it should be available fairly soon. That's also why you can make it work with Windows program, we're encoding it correctly.

For now, you have to wait for the upcoming updates to be made available for the OS X/iOS-created share links to work in the Windows program.

there is no preference I can see to turn this on/off

This is handled by Windows, we tell Windows that we want to process onepassword:// protocol and when Windows sees it, it will route it to the main program. That's why there is no option for this, it's done automatically. However, this isn't the issue as the issue is because the URL itself are invalid from OS X and iOS.

• Hatclub
    Hatclub
    Community Member

Hi Mike

On the bug: Okay. Let's hope those builds come out soon.

Windows does not appear to be handling onepassword:// urls properly - If I cut and paste a onepassword:// url from an email (outlook does not make these links clickable, by the way) and paste it into the start menu search box, it doesn't open 1password.

(this is testing on the 7 machine) If you put those URLs into chrome (or opera 34), chrome simply searches google.
    IE11 just sits there blankly and does nothing (essentially mirroring the start menu behaviour, which would be expected).
    Firefox is the only browser that pops up a box asking me what application I want to handle onepassword:// urls and suggests 1password.

This appears to be affecting another machine (running win10) so I don't believe it's machine (or even windows version) specific

• Hi @Hatclub,

It looks like Chrome may have stopped supporting custom system protocols as of Chrome 43 and since Opera is based on the same engine, it gets affected as well. We'll investigate to see what's going on and find a workaround.

For now, copy and paste the content in the main program.

This discussion has been closed.