Use 1Password to insert the credentials to iTunes.exe

Dear all,

I'm trying to do an application logon to windows itunes. I was following the guide in https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/creating-an-application-login, but the is said "Note: Not all programs accept login information transmitted in this way, but it’s worth a try."

So here are my questions:

• is iTunes supported by 1PW? in the forum are a handful of post saying it's working/was working/did not work :-/
  • which part of 1PW has to be active to do the actual pasting? The application, the help app, anything else?
  • which settings have to be active to make this work? Anything special?
  • the docu says that the key for application logon is CTRL + . Is it possible to change this key to anything else? Or is for applications the same key used like for web site (logon-key?), current set to CTRL + # in my system? (some background here: my keyboard uses a German layout. To get the \ - key, I have to press AltGr + ß. I never know if it is able to combine this with CTRL at all)

Sorry if some of these are stupid or FAQ, but I spent some time in the forums w/o finding an answer.

best regards
Joachim

iTunes 12.3.2.35

1Password Version: 1Password 4.6.0.598
Extension Version: 4.5.1.90
OS Version: Windows 10 64bit
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:application password itunes windows

Comments

• Hi @Joker2016,

is iTunes supported by 1PW? in the forum are a handful of post saying it's working/was working/did not work :-/

It should but have you tried the field auto-type to see if 1Password can do it? Try this:

1. Bring up the iTunes's password prompt, click into the password field to focus it.
    2. Switch to the main 1Password app, locate your iTunes item and click on the auto-type icon next to the password field (the second icon).
    3. Auto-Type dialog will come up, select the iTunes password window to type the password in it.

Does that work? If yes, than 1Password should automate as well with the shortcut.

Which part of 1PW has to be active to do the actual pasting? The application, the help app, anything else?

Both can do it, the main app will do it if you have 1Password Helper turned off, which means it has to be open and running. If you have Helper turned on, the main 1Password app does not need to be running. The 1Password Helper in the notification tray will help auto-type with the shortcut in your apps as well as helping with your browser extensions.

which settings have to be active to make this work? Anything special?

It should work out of the box, it is a very basic function. 1Password simply does this for Auto-Type; it types the user name, press tab, types the password, and then if auto-submit is turned on, it will press the enter key.

However, some users did see an issue with this when they add the App URL as a second URL to an existing Login item. This then requires 1Password to read the entire URL list, not just the first one. To do this, you have to turn on Enable Multiple URLs in the settings, here's how: open the main 1Password app, unlock, and go to File Menu > Preferences > Logins to check Enable Multiple URLs.

Or is for applications the same key used like for web site (logon-key?), current set to CTRL + # in my system?

It's the same shortcut as the Login shortcut you set in File Menu > Preferences > Logins. Try with Control + # for iTunes and other apps.

Sorry if some of these are stupid or FAQ, but I spent some time in the forums w/o finding an answer.

No worries, they're not at all. They will help us clarify this better in the docs + FAQs in the future, we do want to hear from you on what's causing you issues and we will be happy to help you in any way we can.

• Joker2016
    Joker2016
    Community Member

Dear MikeT,

many thanks for your fast reply. It took me some days to get back to the box where itunes lives, But now I have some insights

• 1Password is able to fill the fields of the itunes logon popup window (when pressing the [ I ] button)
    • the logon shortcut key seems to do not to work with itunes.
    • I am able to fill websites with that key (CTRL + Shift + + at this time), but when I try this with itunes, either nothing happens or it beeps

I'm looking for another common exe-file to check against this. While I enter passwords all the time, no suited binary comes to mind :-/

If I understand this technique, the logon key is a shortcut key, registered system wide to 1Password. Is there a way to check the successful key registration?

best regards
    Joachim

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Joker2016: Skype is the one I use most frequently. But I think I figured out what might be missing in your case:

1Password needs to know the right window to fill. So when you edit the item to Ctrl-click and add the App URL, make sure you have an iTunes login window open in the app. These are actually a separate modal dialog with a unique ID:

Note that the dialog is actually behind the 1Password window in this screenshot ("enter your Apple ID and password" or something similar), but the key is that you want iTunesCustomModalDialog as the App URL.

When Ctrl-clicking to add it, you'll actually see two iTunes windows, with the perennially unhelpful, identical names of simply "iTunes". Click one and see if it's the iTunesCustomModalDialog we're looking for. If it is, you're done. Just save the item and you should be able to Ctrl \ to fill the login credentials. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

• Joker2016
    Joker2016
    Community Member

Dear brenty,

your hint made this work. After I selected the ModalDialog, everything works as desired.

many thanks
    Joker

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! Thanks for the update. I'm glad that did the trick for you! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.