1Password 4.5.3 on iOS has stopped seeing DropBox syncs from 1Password 3.8.22 on MacOS

Options

Login entries which I added on 1Password 3.8.22 (build 32010) on MacOS X 10.10.5 and synced via DropBox have stopped appearing in my 1Password 4.5.3 on iOS. I have been syncing them via DropBox for years without problems, but suddenly after January 1, 2015, I am not seeing the new entries on iOS.

I can see that the entries appear in the 1password.agilekeychain/data/default/contents.js file in DropBox on the Web and on iOS, but they don't appear in the 1Password app on iOS. I can even see the .password files with the right dates in 1password.agilekeychain/data/default/. Searching for these logins in 1Password 4.5.3 on iOS does not show any results.

1Password Version: 4.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 7.1.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:sync to ios

Comments

• jhalperin
    jhalperin
    Community Member
    Options

The "missing" logins are entries which I added on the Mac after January 1, 2015.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jhalperin,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with 1Password. Since you've already checked the keychain file in Dropbox, it sounds to me like sync may have become disconnected on the iOS end of things. Could you please check in Settings > Dropbox on your iPhone and tell me what you see there?

• jhalperin
    jhalperin
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, Megan -

This is what shows up in Dropbox > Settings.

Email:
    Space Used: 2.0% of 2.2 GB
    [Link a Computer]
    [Upgrade Account]
    Camera Upload: Off
    Passcode Lock: Off
    [Help]
    [Legal & Privacy]
    App Version: 4.2.2

I am using iOS 7.1.2, and don't see any Dropbox entry within the iOS Settings app.

• jhalperin
    jhalperin
    Community Member
    Options

I should add... When I check Dropbox files on iOS, I can see that 1password.agilekeychain/data/default/contents.js is getting updated when I save changes from the Mac. I saved a new test password a minute ago on the Mac, and Dropbox on iOS says "You edited 1 minute ago" under its copy of contents.js. It looks as if the changes are making it through to Dropbox on iOS, but are not showing up in the 1Password app.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jhalperin,

Sorry for the confusion here. When Megan asked about checking Dropbox she was referring to inside 1Password for iOS.

If you launch 1Password for iOS you should be able to navigate to Settings > Sync (a slight slip there on our part). Inside there it should say what the current state of syncing is. If 1Password believes it is syncing to Dropbox it should say Sync Service Dropbox. If sync is not currently set up for any reason it will likely say Start Syncing. Megan suspects that for reasons unknown at this moment that syncing has become disabled in 1Password for iOS and this will be one clear indicator if it has. If it does say it is syncing to Dropbox it should say when it last successfully synced as well as there being a Sync Now button. Does anything here suggest that either sync is disabled or showing as still set up but appearing to be broken?

• jhalperin
    jhalperin
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables ,

Thanks for the clarification and background explanation.

It does seem that 1Password for iOS sync is disabled. Under Settings > Sync it says "Start Syncing". When I select "Sync with Dropbox" under "Choose a sync method" it seems to know about my dropbox account. The account is listed.

After clicking on the > sign next to account name and selecting the location of the 1password.agilekeychain, I see this message: "Vault Mismatch: It appears that the data in the Primary vault is different from the vault you selected in Dropbox. We recommend that you do not merge these vaults." I clicked "Do Not Merge", and canceled my way out of everything.

I have never used the multiple vaults feature on any device. Is there a way I can clear up the problem and get the devices to sync again?

If I had to have one device's 1Password overwrite the other, I suppose I would choose the iPhone to prevail, even though there are 3 or 4 recent entries on the Mac that I do want to keep.

Thank you,

• Jeff
  • littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @jhalperin,

That message can sometimes come across a bit scarier than we intended.

Given you're running 1Password 3 for Mac there will only be the one Agile Keychain and if 1Password for iOS has been connected to it in the past then most of the items will be the same. Here is what I recommend.

1. Launch 1Password for Mac and use the menu option File > Backup Data File.
    2. Launch 1Password for iOS and navigate to Settings > Advanced and select the Create Backup option. This will create an up to date backup in both locations that we can use if necessary - a safety net.
    3. Set up Dropbox Sync in 1Password for iOS and accept that you will be merging your Agile Keychain with the iOS vault.

1Password for iOS won't do anything destructive. If it finds differences that it can't 100% reliably say which is correct it stores one set of the details in conflict fields and keeps the other set in the original location. Should you find something doesn't seem quite right check the item for the presence of conflicts. Unfortunately the combination of 1Password 3 for Mac and 1Password for iOS mean there isn't an easy way to locate them in a more automated manner.

I do genuinely believe you will find 1Password just hasn't used a great choice of words and that actually your vaults do match up quite well when it gets the chance to dig into the Agile Keychain and do a real comparison. If you were syncing in the past a lot of the information has to be the same :smile:

Please do keep us updated.

• jhalperin
    jhalperin
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, @littlebobbytables -

Thank you for the encouragement. I was relieved to learn that the sync is safer than the warning message would indicate. I ran the sync on iOS, merged the vaults and it seems to have worked.

I created the backup on the Mac. However, I was not able to create the backup on iOS. Under Settings > Advanced I saw no Create Backup option. I am running 1Password 4.5.3 on iOS 7.

Since our last exchange, I have upgraded to 1Password 4 on the Mac, Windows, and iOS in the hopes that this would make the merge easier. I still only have one vault (the Primary vault), which sounds as if it should help keep things simple. The sync did work.

Thanks again,

• jhalperin
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of lil bobby, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that it all worked out in the end. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.