Error: this update won't go through the normal process [Caused by McAfee AV]

yannisp
yannisp
Community Member
edited January 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi,
I got this error "error: this update won't go through the normal process" when the program tried to update to latest version. Then it prompted to download the update manually which I did. When I clicked on the exe file (run as administrator) I got another error : "unable to execute file in the temporary directory. Setup aborted. Error 5: Access denied. Current version 4.6.0.592
Any help much appreciated.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
_Sync Type:
Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@yannisp: Sorry for the trouble! Do you have 'security' software that might be interfering with the connection? If 1Password cannot establish a secure connection to the update server, it will reject the connection. Please let me know what you find! :)

• yannisp
    yannisp
    Community Member

@brenty Right on! that was the problem. Thank you for your help :-)

• Hi @yannisp,

On behalf of Brenty, you're welcome.

In the interest of helping out others in the future that might have the same issue, could you tell us which security program you're using and what you had to do to resolve this?

• yannisp
    yannisp
    Community Member

@MikeT I'm using McAfee Antivirus and I have enabled the option to "Prevent all programs from running files from the Temp folder" as an extra precaution. I temporarily disabled this option and the update went through with no problems.

I hope that helps :-)

• Hi @yannisp,

That makes sense, we extract to the temp folder before updating your 1Password app files. Thanks for letting us know.

This discussion has been closed.