Import from Sticky Password [Converter available]

Options
monk32
monk32
Community Member
edited January 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hello. I switched to windows mobile, so I needed a pw manager which offers a windows phone app. Then i found you :)

The only problem what I have is, I dont know how I can transfer my data to 1password since I have round about 400 elememts (logins+secure notes).

Is it possible that you can implement an import feauture from sticky password? I would instantly switch :(

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @monk32,

Can you provide us with a link where we can download StickyPassword, so we can see if it can be exported and and then imported into 1Password. /cc @MrC

I noticed you've been using our Windows 10 app and have provided feedback already, thank you.

• monk32
    monk32
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi @MikeT !
    Thank you for your quick response.
    StickyPassword can be downloaded here: https://www.stickypassword.com/thank-you-download

Here is a screenshot of the possible "Export-Formats":
    screenshot
    I can choose between the following open formats: XML, HTML, TXT
    It would be definetly awesome if it is possible, since i would really like to switch, because you have a great windows mobile app and a first class support :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @monk32 ,

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look in a few hours when I return to my system.

• monk32
    monk32
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC

All right! Great!
    Just one little concern. If you create dummy data to test the output formats, please dont forget to create an example login with multiple accounts/usernames assigned to one website. For example I have 2 Gmail accounts, so you can see how the export will look like, so 1password can import the multiple usernames for one website correctly. Thanks!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2016
    Options

@monk32,

Just to be clear, you're going to export and convert on Windows, correct?

I offered to create a converter for another user back in August, but didn't get any follow-up. Please do review the README to be sure this is something you're willing to do. The README is available in the download mentioned in the converter suite thread.

I'll take care of creating sufficient dummy data to produce a robust converter (as much as possibly anyway). This is always the most laborious process in converter creation.

Is your Sticky Password export in a non-English language? If so, which language (German or Dutch)? I'm interested only in the categories and field names presented in the XML. The converters are driven by English names, and a couple of converters have been localized.

• monk32
    monk32
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

@MrC

1. Yes, exporting and converting will be done on Windows (Dektop).
    2. I have read the readme and I will definetly do all the necessary steps, to get my data to 1Password. It is not a problem for me.
    3. I have found out that the export language depends on the program language you choose in the settings. So it's not an issue. I use German but I can switch to English and the Export will be english.
    4. There are some hidden fields you can use. There is one more you should not forget about when creating dummy data:

2screen

Thank you!!!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi @monk32,

Great, thanks for the additional info. The export is fairly complex, so I won't get the converter done until this weekend. Sorry for the delay, but your request comes in both when I'm swamped with other converter help and my last few weeks of finishing details for our major home reconstruction. Sorry for the delay, but I'll get you some bits soon...

• monk32
    monk32
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC

Please take the necessary time for it.
    How long it will take does not matter. I am already happy knowing I will be able to switch soon :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2016
    Options

@monk32,

I'm taking you up on your offer for more time. I ran into an unexpected set of challenges: 1) the export fields are not labeled, but are indexed, so I had to learn about every field index (e.g. the field First Name has index 2, Yahoo ID is 15, Credit Card Number is 38, etc.), and 2) the notes data is encoded as RTF, so I'm having to convert the RTF data into plain text (the decoder is done now).

Question re: (2) above. You are going to lose any formatting you have when the RTF notes data is imported as plain text into the notes area of a record. Are you OK with that? If this is a problem, there are two options: a) save out the RTF notes data as a separate RTF file, or b) convert the notes data to an (RTF) attachment included in the record. What are you thoughts here?

• monk32
    monk32
    Community Member
    Options

Good morning @MrC ,

I am so sorry that I "forced" you to do such a cruel task... I did not think it would be so hard :(
    Do you think they make it on purpose, so users cant switch that easy?

Formatting is not an issue at all. Definetly!

Thank you Mrc!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2016
    Options

@monk32,

Almost done! Sorry about the delay - the past two days I've spent a lot of time at our home remodel, and this converter was a lot of reverse engineering. Tomorrow for sure.

I just have to process the Credit Card and Bank Account entries for an Identity. Already done are Web Accounts, App Accounts, Bookmarks, Identities, and Secure Memos. Here's a conversion of my test data:

• monk32
    monk32
    Community Member
    Options

I highly appreciate your work.
    I am really exited!

The main thing is that Webaccounts and secure notes can be transferred, so please dont invest toooo much time on the little things :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2016
    Options

@monk32,

The converter is now done and ready for Windows (I haven't verified the OS X export yet).

Grab the 1.09 version in Testing Bits, mentioned in the converter suite. Follow the directions in the first post and the README.pdf.

This is a first pass, so there may be an issue or two. I'm interested in hearing your feedback and about your results.

Note: I'm not going to convert a couple of minor fields: County and Language. These are exported as numeric indexes into a very long list of values, and I haven't investigated yet how to generate that number-to-name list programmatically. So, those values will appear in Notes with a numeric value. Just fill the appropriate field yourself where necessary.

• monk32
    monk32
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC

The converter worked almost perfectly.
    I was able to import all my data. But unfortenetly there is one little issue.
    I dont know if I made something wrong, but some of my "Secure Notes" dont contain any information.
    Instead of showing my text it only shows the following content:

Date Modified: 2016-01-29T14:40:28.566+01:00
    Date Created: 2016-01-29T14:40:28.566+01:00

The weird thing is, that some notes do show correctly but others dont. Do you know if it is my fault?

2016 01 29

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi @monk32,

Thanks for the update, and sorry about the Secure Notes issue.

The two date fields you see in secure notes are simply captured values from the record that end up in secure notes (see also the --modified option).

I'm wondering if Sticky Password encodes some Secure Memos differently than what my data produced.

Can you identify anything about those Secure Notes? Was their source Secure Memos? Was the content different looking than the snipped entry below?

<SecureMemos>
      . . .
          <SecureMemo CreatedDate="2016-01-28T03:18:55.823-08:00" ModifiedDate="2016-01-28T03:18:55.823-08:00" Name="secure memo 2 - no group" ID="112" ParentID="-2" IconIndex="100">7B005C00720074006600 < snip >  7D000D000A00</SecureMemo>
      . . .
        </SecureMemos>

You can open the XML file with a text editor to see the items. Search for the Name if your item within the XML file.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@monk32,

I'm thinking that my cheap and dirty RTF (rich text format) parser is failing in some way. Do these missing notes have rich formatted text in your original data?

• monk32
    monk32
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

@MrC

1 ) Well I compared a working and a missing note with the original source and I could not identify any differences. The snippet you posted is identical to the Sticky Password Export File.

2) What does exactly mean rich formatted text? All my notes have the same font, size etc...

But as i said, some of the imported notes (13 of 90) are displayed correctly...Very weird :/

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2016
    Options

@monk32,

Rich Text Format (RTF) is an early, platform independent plain text formatting specification used by word processors. Sticky Password encodes its formatted text using this format. That's what allows you to set the character and paragraph attributes in the Secure Memo editor.

So, check the original memo text for a few of the missing items and see if those items have text formatting in the secure memo. In all my tests, my RTF parser handled the formatting I made, but you may have something more complex that I haven't encountered.

If the memo is not something you consider private or confidential, you could copy/paste the entry from the XML file and email it to me. I'd just need the single <SecureMemo ... >...</SecureMemo> entry from the XML. My email is at the top of the convert_to_1p4.pl script.

• monk32
    monk32
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

@MrC

Allright! I think this is a good solution. I will do that asap. Thank you!

Edit: The email was sent to you. Thanks!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@monk32,

Your emailed data snippet was perfect. Some exported memos are not saved as encoded RTF, and my test data never triggered that condition. The update can now handle RTF or plain simple text, so you should be good now.

I've updated the 1.09 Testing Bits version of the converter. Please download the new copy and re-run the converter.

• monk32
    monk32
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC

Thank you so much!
    I can imagine that it was not so easy.

Can I express my appreciation apart from buying the full version of 1Password?
    Maybe write a short review or something?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2016
    Options

@monk32,

You're welcome. Sounds like everything worked out then!

As far as "review", I don't work for AgileBits - I'm just a user like you. For me, your kind words above are enough.

Enjoy 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Well, I'll give him a review: Four paws! :love:

As he mentioned, MrC is "just an ordinary 1Password user" who happens to do some really awesome things to help folks. If you leave a review of the 1Password app itself (or tell family and friends about it), we appreciate it, but MrC's kindness and generosity shouldn't factor into that. We can't take credit for his hard work and dedication...though it's immensely appreciated. :chuffed:

• MrPhil
    MrPhil
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC I really thank you soooooooo much a lot!!!!!! :)
    I tried your perl script in Mac Terminal. It took me about 1 hour to install all needed perl modules, but in the end it worked like a charm!!!
    It is extreamly great, that I now can move to 1Password :) THANKSSSSS

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi @MrPhil,

You're very welcome.

Oh, that's a slow network or machine! Sorry for the lengthy process - I wish I had a simpler solution for you unfortunate Windows users ! :)

But that's great news you were able to convert and import! Enjoy 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sweet! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.