No access to Dropbox how do I sync cross platform?

Options

Hi,

I use 1password to store both personal and work related passwords. I work at a large company in which IT people just recently took the smartest decision ever, blocking dropbox (be it sync or website) in favor of Box. Of course I used to use Dropbox to be able to sync my mac at home, my iPhone and my work computer. Now this does not work anymore.

I tried transferring my 1password data to a folder in box (having in mind that I would sync my iPhone manually via wifi). Box being such a crappy service, for some reason it will not sync my opvault file as it seems to be having an issue with the format of some data...

Now my last try was to sync manually at work over wifi. It worked for some time (2 days) but then all of a sudden stopped. What happens now is that it seems to get stuck in some sort of loop with the window not responding anymore. As it is counting items in the window title, it went up to 2000+ items when I only have 248 items on my phone...Everything works just fine with my mac.

I am using an iPhone 6s, and my work computer is some HP crappy laptop running Windows 7. Of course I have just bought licenses for both mac & PC and I am using the iOS version having upgraded to pro features.

I am looking for some support on this wifi sync issue as it seems it may be my only remaining option before I ask for a refund since 1Password does not meet my requirements as of today. I am also all ears to any other cross platform syncing option which may be of some help here.

Thanks for your help!

1Password Version: 4.6.0.598
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @denisdp,

If I recall correctly, Box has issues with resource forks or bundle files like 1Password.opvault but that was a few years ago.

There's a bug in the Wi-Fi sync, we're still investigating the cause behind it. It has to do with attachments in the OPvault data format, it keeps looping with a few items and that increments the item count in the Wi-Fi sync dialog but it doesn't mean it has 2000+ items.

I can reproduce it and there's an active bug report being investigated by both the Windows and iOS teams. Unfortunately, I do not have a workaround for this yet.

At the moment, Dropbox is the only sync solution that will run on all platforms that 1Password is on but it won't be the only option in the near future. We're working on an upcoming cloud-based instance of 1Password that might work for your needs at work where you can access your 1Password data in the browser if the program can't connect to our server. You can find out more here.

We'd be happy to extend your trial a bit while we work on an update to fix this Wi-Fi issue. However, if this still won't be enough, we'll refund you completely. Please email us at support+windows@agilebits.com with a link to this thread and your forum username, and we'll take care of you.

• denisdp
    denisdp
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

Glad this is a known issue. I do have attachments and am using the opvault format. Box definitely still has that same issue with bundle files.

I did subscribe to the beta of 1password for teams and gave it a try but I do not want to pay a fee every month as I'd rather pay once and for all like I did for the licenses of Mac and Windows version. Moreover, 4.99$/user/month would be quite expensive. I am waiting to see what you will be announcing for families as I understood this is something we will hear about soon. There may be something interesting for me here.

Hopefully you guys will find a solution to that bug in the wifi sync. Does it mean that if we interrupt the sync everything still gets transferred or some items may be missing?

Anyway, thanks for your feedback. I have been using 1password for some time and just recently decided to go for the full version. It is a very well designed software! I just wish the Windows version (4) were as polished as the Mac version. Maybe one day we will migrate to Windows 10 and I can use the latest version which you will have released by then. Until then, I will have to stick with what is existing on Windows 7 :)

• Hi @denisdp,

Hopefully you guys will find a solution to that bug in the wifi sync. Does it mean that if we interrupt the sync everything still gets transferred or some items may be missing?

It should sync all items except for attachments in these items, basically you'll see the affected items with no attachments in it. If that's not the case, let us know.

Just to add more data points for our developers, could you reproduce the Wi-Fi sync and while it is stuck, generate the diagnostic report for us. Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

I did subscribe to the beta of 1password for teams and gave it a try but I do not want to pay a fee every month as I'd rather pay once and for all like I did for the licenses of Mac and Windows version.

For the pricing, please stay tuned as we do plan to have a major announcement on that in the next few months.

The price you saw is mainly for businesses with thousands of devices and workers. As we're now hosting all the attachments and data, that incurs a lot of costs to maintain the servers for these businesses and the prices reflect that. If we price it too low, we go out of business. We are listening to all feedback on this and will make changes as long as it is sustainable for us.

For families and/or individuals, it is very unlikely they'd consume the same amount of data like businesses will and thus we will be having different plans to reflect the needs of our customers.

! I just wish the Windows version (4) were as polished as the Mac version. Maybe one day we will migrate to Windows 10 and I can use the latest version which you will have released by then. Until then, I will have to stick with what is existing on Windows 7 :)

There will be a major update to the 1Password for Windows coming for Windows 7+ with Teams support, Windows 10 version is not the only Windows version that'll be available.

• denisdp
    denisdp
    Community Member
    Options

Wow, I think this is the first time I see such a customer support from a company. Thank you so much for all these responses and for taking the time. I will of course send you the diagnostic file tomorrow morning (French Time) as soon as I get to work.

I totally get the point that you need to have people pay for a solution that you host and for which you have costs. Totally makes sense that you need to find the right pricing. It is more that I just do not want to add yet another subscription for now :) But I have to say that 1Password for team looks very promising!

Cannot wait for the new 1Password for Windows 7 then!

Again, thanks a lot for all the responses Mike! This is just how every company should be doing customer support. Keep it up!

• Hi @denisdp,

:blush: Thank you for your feedback.

I will of course send you the diagnostic file tomorrow morning (French Time) as soon as I get to work.

Take your time, we'll be here anytime and make sure you grab some coffee or tea first. :smile:

It is more that I just do not want to add yet another subscription for now :)

Yep, we totally understand. But hey, you're going to need a product to keep all of that subscription information secure, I think I know one good program. :pirate:

Again, thanks a lot for all the responses Mike! This is just how every company should be doing customer support. Keep it up!

You're welcome. We really believe customer service is just as important as the product and we're also regular users of 1Password, so we want to make sure everyone's happy with our products as much as we are.

• denisdp
    denisdp
    Community Member
    Options

Done! Feedback sent and registered under ID [#CSK-78898-343].

• Thanks, we got the email and I've replied to it already.

ref: OPI-3345 / CSK-78898-343

• denisdp
    denisdp
    Community Member
    Options

So...it has been a while and I have not seen any progress on this issue. I am constantly checking the betas changelogs but have only been disappointed so far. Have you guys identified a culprit and fix for this one? (Hope I have not missed it in any of the betas)

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @denisdp,

No, you didn't miss anything, the iOS team is still investigating it along with a few other Wi-Fi related issues. We're still waiting to see the outcome but so far, there's no progress.

• MikeT
    Options

We do apologize that it is taking this long.

• denisdp
    denisdp
    Community Member
    Options

Ok noted

• MikeT
    Options

If there's anything else we can help you with, let us know.

I've pinged our teams again to see what's going on and I'll follow up here as soon as I know more.

• denisdp
    denisdp
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

Any update?

• Hey @denisdp,

Thanks to the information you and a few others have provided, we're pretty sure that we have fixed the issue in the latest beta.
    We still need to confirm the fix and Mike will get back to you via email once we're sure that everything works as it should, now.

Cheers!

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @denisdp,

We think we might have fixed this, I'm not able to reproduce this anymore. Could you email us at support+windows@agilebits.com with the link to this thread and your forum username, so we can see if it is fixed for you as well.

Thanks!

• denisdp
    denisdp
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I will give it a try tomorrow at work and will get back to you.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @denisdp,

Just to be clear, it may not be fixed right out of the box by updating to the latest beta but you can try it for now.

However, if it is not working better, you may have to do something first, which is why I'd like you to email us, so we can explain what you have to do.

• denisdp
    denisdp
    Community Member
    Options

ok, I will e-mail you right away then.

• MikeT
    Options

Thanks, we got your email and will reply as soon as we can.

ref: IPA-54663-462

This discussion has been closed.