Human please help

Options

I had to update my laptop's OSX to 10.10.3 from 10.6, and, installed much software fresh, including 1Password 5 (was running 3 with no issues). No indication whatsoever was given when I updated that this (1P5) was a 30-day "trial version". Now I am getting this notice that trial has expired. I do not want to have to pay for upgrade, as I was happy with the version I had before and expected the $39.95 I originally paid to be the cost of this software. My version was made obsolete, outside my control. I think I had to upgrade so 1P would work with my Chrome plugin. I also still run v3.8.21 on my desktop machine that I'll soon have to update the OS on, and, I run v3.6.5 on my iPhone iOS 7.0.4
I suspect my husband, who also upgraded recently -- to 1P6 -- as part of troubleshooting will get his own surprise in a few weeks when his "trial" that he was not aware was a trial runs out.
$24.95 is really steep to wrestle my 1P out of this "trial version" -- what is my option? This is so sad.

1Password Version: 5.4.2
Extension Version: 4.5.3.90
OS Version: OSX 10.10.3
Sync Type: Dropbox (broken sync with iphone)
Referrer: kb:license-file-faq, kb:add-license, kb:license-file-faq, kb:trial-expired, kb:upgrade-license

Comments

• ollifi
    ollifi
    Community Member
    Options

You can download latest 1P 3 here - https://cache.agilebits.com/dist/1P/mac/1Password-3.8.22.zip
    And this is the old version of Chrome extension you could try - https://d13itkw33a7sus.cloudfront.net/dist/1P/ext/1Password-4.1.0.90.crx

NB! Remember to backup your data before trying anything (click File in Mac menu bar -> Backup).

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi @Sylvia ,

I'm Megan and I'm a human who works for AgileBits. I'd be happy to help you out here.

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling frustrated after updating 1Password. Of course we can help you roll back to 1Password 3 if that's what you'd prefer. However, there are a few things you should be aware of before doing so.

We certainly do not want you to feel that you are being forced into an upgrade. We're happy to continue supporting 1Password 3 users the best that we can as long as they continue to use the app. However, 1Password 3 was designed for an operating system much younger than OS X 10.11, or even OS X 10.10, and it is starting to show its age. The problem is this: each new operating system update comes with all sorts of changes. Some of these changes you'll notice (like a sleek new design and fancy options for organizing your various apps), but there are also a lot of changes to the underlying architecture of the operating system, including new tools for developers, and new ways of doing things. As operating systems change, apps need to change as well.

After a few years of updating 1Password 3 to keep up with the operating systems, we realized that it was time to make a significant change. I'm trying to think up an appropriate analogy here ... perhaps this will work: a young couple moves into a lovely little house. As their family grows, they need to add extra rooms, so they convert the sunroom here, build on an addition over there. As technology changes, they need to update the wiring, and the insulation, and the plumbing ... And as the house ages, that 'to fix' list grows longer, and eventually it's patches over patches, and a serious renovation is needed to get the house back up to code. It's sort of the same way when building an app. How code is written changes over time, and working with an older codebase means that sometimes our developers have to design some complicated workarounds to implement features that could be much simpler to write in a fresh, new app. (Just as adding a new, eco-friendly heating and cooling system will be complicated in a house with 100-year-old ducts). So, we decided to start fresh with 1Password and re-build from the ground up.

When 1Password 4 was released, we ended development on 1Password 3. This means that, as the operating systems continued to change, 1Password 3 remained the same. With OS X 10.10 and OS X 10.11, the operating system has changed enough that some parts of 1Password 3 aren't behaving as well as they used to. You can read more about what you'll see with 1Password and OS X 10.10 in this post.

If you're using the latest version of Apple's operating systems, I would recommend that you also use the latest version of 1Password, but I can understand that this process has been frustrating for you, and I'd like to help. Please send your current license information in to support+forums@agilebits.com and include a link to this conversation. We'll see if there's anything we can do to help.

ref: 485711

This discussion has been closed.