Screen blanks, 1Password login window never appears; can't restore desktop.

Running Windows 10, 64-bit processor. Also running ZoneAlarm firewall and Microsoft Defender and EMET Notifier.
This started happening within the last couple of days about the time I installed the latest Window 10 Update. :(

Symptoms are:
I click on a shortcut link to 1Password. The screen blanks (black) but the login dialogue never appears. Taskmanager shows at least 3 instances of 1Password 32bit running, as well as two instances of Agile1plogin.exe. Killing all the instances of 1Password and 1 instance of Agile1plogin.exe doesn't help. The 2nd instance of Agile1plogin.exe shows as "not responding." Running taskkill as an administrator using /F (force) and the pid for the process says: no running instance of this process.

Any ideas?

Charlie

1Password Version: 4.6.0.598
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:blank screen

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@clbrooks97: First, please restart Windows (after updating, if necessary). I've had some odd problems similar to what you're describing on my Surface Pro 4, usually after sleep/hibernation. Rebooting eventually got 1Password (and the rest of my apps) working normally again. Very strange. You may also try installing a fresh copy of the app, if it's been damaged. Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• Hi @clbrooks97,

Are you using Unlock on Secure Desktop feature? If yes, that might be the cause and you should look for consent.exe next time.

If you are still seeing this issue after a fresh reboot, try to disable the secure desktop feature in 1Password and see if it is more reliable. To do this:

1. Open the main 1Password program, unlock, and go to the File Menu > Preferences > Browsers
    2. Uncheck the box next to Unlock on Secure Desktop and press OK to save the change.
  • clbrooks97
    clbrooks97
    Community Member

Thank, MikeT and BrentY for your helpful responses. Both of you were partially right -- here's what I finally figured out after much cursing and gnashing of teeth. I had recently updated my firewall software, and somehow managed to reset various rules for blocking traffic. What was happening was that the screen was blanking, and then it appears that a request was made for a network connection (I store my password on Dropbox.) This was blocked by the firewall which then put up a dialog box requesting permission to allow the connection through. Of course, since the screen was blank, the dialogue box never appeared. Deadlock (firewall waiting for a response, 1password waiting for the results of a query to Dropbox).

I did two things to diagnose this: turned off the firewall for 5 minutes, and observed the request to allow access to Dropbox (which I enabled as a trusted service). I also uninstalled and re-installed the latest 1Password ... and after all that, I'm back up and running successfully.

MikeT, the problem is that if you can't unlock the main 1Password program, you can't change the preferences for "Unlock on Secure Desktop." It's the old land-line telephone problem in foreign countries: you can't call the operator to ask how to call the operator.

Thanks for you prompt attention to my issue. Hope this note provides some useful info.

clbrooks97

• Hi @clbrooks97,

Deadlock (firewall waiting for a response, 1Password waiting for the results of a query to Dropbox).

Here's the weird thing: we actually do not make any queries to Dropbox, that's handled by the Dropbox client, we monitor the Dropbox folder locally instead. So, I am not sure why 1Password would hang here nor how this would impact 1Password. We'll see if we can make this happen on our systems as well.

MikeT, the problem is that if you can't unlock the main 1Password program, you can't change the preferences for "Unlock on Secure Desktop."

Right but if the program doesn't get the call, it has a timer to revert to the regular lock view, the same for terminating consent.exe.

These are certainly strange events that are happening on your system and definitely not something we expect to see.

Thank you for sharing it with us and we'll investigate to see what is going on there.

• clbrooks97
    clbrooks97
    Community Member

Hi, MikeT -
    Thanks for the info. I don't recall seeing consent.exe, but then I wasn't looking for it. :) I'm happy to have it 1Password working again; hope that this exchange will prove helpful to you folks in the future.

Charlie

• It does, thank you.

This discussion has been closed.